Why no broody on Our Little Farm? UPDATED news....

ourlittleflock

Songster
10 Years
May 28, 2009
North Carolina
Can someone please tell me why I have 2 pens of cochins and a pen of silkies and have had only 1 broody in the last year... I need to have a broody for some eggs I am wanting but no one wants to seat... I have even left some eggs in a nest (they created) the last several days but nothing...

barnie.gif

I have read threads of silkies and cochins always going broody but not here on Our Little Farm!!! yes I have a incubator but i want to keep it empty until i get the word on call duck eggs... Is it JUST TO MUCH TO ASK for a broody I want to hatch some showgirls....

feeling better now so back to work

Last edited:
well, if you were in Ca, I would loan you my buff who consistently goes broody 2x a year.

Sorry, maybe this year it will be different.

Quote:
some people have silkies go broody a couple times a year it seems like - but in my 3 years of chicken I have only had 2 broody and they both were cochins

I would send you a little magic dust but it doesn't seem like it works around here.. but i do wish you luck with your silkies... I love mine even though they want sit...

Because you want them to
big_smile.png
Go out there and tell them that you hope they never go broody and you should have one within a week, lol

You could try locking one in a dark, quiet space with food, water and a nest with a few golf balls for a few days to see if she decides to sit.
idunno.gif
The last silkie hen I had was the lay 10 eggs then go broody type. The girls I have now are just starting to lay so we'll see.

Quote:
I'm knocking on some wood while typing these.. I followed your advise jmatf - "Go out there and tell them that you hope they never go broody and you should have one within a week" and it worked - I have 2 sitting 1x cochin and 1 showgirl.... I think a serama maybe going broody as well...

I'm knocking on some wood while typing these.. I followed your advise jmatf - "Go out there and tell them that you hope they never go broody and you should have one within a week" and it worked - I have 2 sitting 1x cochin and 1 showgirl.... I think a serama maybe going broody as well...

It's that easy?!?!?!?
barnie.gif

Quote:
It's that easy?!?!?!?
barnie.gif

maybe it is just timing - I have been waiting 18 months for this
hu.gif
... who knows... I just keep pinching myself since I bought some eggs for them and my incubator is full.. i hope they hatch them... we will see - if it is meant to happen it will...

Back
Top Bottom