why people cross silkies and americana?

Really? I havent seen this cross very much, if at all.

Maybe because they like floofy chickens with beards?

Are you seeing the silkied ameraucanas? They are a true ameraucana that had the silkie feather gene pop up through some strange genetic happening... No crossing of silkies at all
smile.png

Quote:
farmer told me he crossed it with americana. I was wondering if people did this often and for what purpose maybe to make a smaller bird. I can post pics later, I bought her. Beautiful bird.

Quote:
Yeah, these are TOTALLY different than a simple cross. I dont think I have seen anyone selling silkieX americana crosses. Or more specifically, ones they have BRED to be crosses.

Sometimes, chicken love just happens.

I just read on another thread (just a few minutes ago, in fact) that folks cross breed these two for brooding purposes.

Bantam silkies make great brooders for folks who do not want to rely on electric incubators for hatching eggs.

But they are small, and can only sit on a few full size eggs at a time.

By cross breeding a bantam silkie with an ameraucana roo, the resulting pullets are larger than their bantam mother. They still seem to like to go broody, but when they do, they can sit on more eggs than the bantam mother can.

I don't know anything more about this than what I just wrote. And the only reason I know this much is because somebody was talking about this on another thread.

Back
Top Bottom