Why roosters only?

Hysteria

Chirping
Jun 12, 2023
I’m wondering what is the reason that only roosters get born in a small home incubator/hatcher?
Temperatures/humidity/motions all decent.
Successful births, but always all are roosters and not one hen.
Has to be a reason.
Does anybody have wisdom on this?
Appreciate!

Attachments

• IMG_1152.jpeg
    IMG_1152.jpeg
    515.4 KB · Views: 93
I’m wondering what is the reason that only roosters get born in a small home incubator/hatcher?
Temperatures/humidity/motions all decent.
Successful births, but always all are roosters and not one hen.
Has to be a reason.
Does anybody have wisdom on this?
Appreciate!
Some more information would help. How many eggs are you talking about hatching roosters? That would make a difference, whether it is three out of three (perhaps not unusual) or 15 out of fifteen which would be. How many eggs total, that is how many in each batch are not hatching?
I once hatched 7/7 pullets and was not happy because I was starting a new breed and needed a rooster. I've also hatched 2/2 roosters.

My last hatch was all females 6 of 8 eggs, 2 died inside the egg.

But before I started I was testing the theory of some comments I came across on the web about hatching. They mentioned about selecting a rounder eggs that didn't have a noticeable small end. So I tried it.

To me there's some truth to it after my test. But this was only one test so I can't make a comparison result.

That said, try looking for more rounder eggs to hatch. Remember you can leave fertile eggs on the kitchen counter for 3 weeks till you have enough. Hatch 6 minimum or more to view results.

Not kinda/sorta related by I had a Black Copper Marans hen go broody last may. I have 2 separate flocks (1 BCM + 1 mixed) each with a BCM roo...
So I put Marans and Olive Egger eggs under her. 3 OE's hatched cockerels and 3 BCM's hatched pullets. 🤔

Could be myth, but I've heard that temperature plays a role. Higher temperatures result in males. Now I have only been through a few hatches via a broody hen, all backyard mixes. Hatch #1 during an extreme heatwave: 5 cockerels out of 6 eggs. The next, a year later with cooler temperatures: 2 cockerels out of 5 eggs. Coincidence? Probably. I don't know enough about chicken genetics to give an educated answer, but I hope to hear someone with more knowledge chime in. Is the sex pre-determined in the egg before it's even laid? Is the sex determined by the Roo, the hen or both? I imagine if there was any way to increase your odds of getting hens, it'd be all over the forums and not such a mystery to us.

The sex of baby chicks is decided by the mother hen in her ovum, and is unaffected by sperm. Totally different from humans. So temperature won't affect gender. I doubt egg shape makes any difference either, but I can't state that as a fact, just a suspicion. So basically it is down to what the hen's body chooses, and there is no way to change it. Some hens may produce more male offspring than others. I'm not sure of that, either. But more likely it is just pure chance, and you've had bad luck. Maybe try hatching eggs from different hens next time, or buying sexed chicks from TSC or a hatchery.

Not kinda/sorta related by I had a Black Copper Marans hen go broody last may. I have 2 separate flocks (1 BCM + 1 mixed) each with a BCM roo...
So I put Marans and Olive Egger eggs under her. 3 OE's hatched cockerels and 3 BCM's hatched pullets. 🤔

The sex of baby chicks is decided by the mother hen in her ovum, and is unaffected by sperm. Totally different from humans. So temperature won't affect gender. I doubt egg shape makes any difference either, but I can't state that as a fact, just a suspicion. So basically it is down to what the hen's body chooses, and there is no way to change it. Some hens may produce more male offspring than others. I'm not sure of that, either. But more likely it is just pure chance, and you've had bad luck. Maybe try hatching eggs from different hens next time, or buying sexed chicks from TSC or a hatchery.
I only have the one EE that I hatched the 3 Olive Egger cockerels from but I'll be incubating more in March/April.
Curious to see the outcome, now.

I'm marking all my BCM eggs and leg banding for breeding but this is helpful also for my notes to watch if certain hens throw more male progeny than female.

My last hatch was all females 6 of 8 eggs, 2 died inside the egg.

But before I started I was testing the theory of some comments I came across on the web about hatching. They mentioned about selecting a rounder eggs that didn't have a noticeable small end. So I tried it.

To me there's some truth to it after my test. But this was only one test so I can't make a comparison result.

That said, try looking for more rounder eggs to hatch. Remember you can leave fertile eggs on the kitchen counter for 3 weeks till you have enough. Hatch 6 minimum or more to view results.
Да, согласна с вами. Есть такая версия. Одна женщина сильно утверждала, что она уберёт шустрые яйца так как это петухи. Но, у меня пока нет этому утверждению. Ещё пока нет способа, что бы 100%уверенностью выбрать яйцо по полу. На всё воля Божья!
Narrow, sharp eggs

Attachments

• IMG_20231228_103931.jpg
    IMG_20231228_103931.jpg
    481.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Some more information would help. How many eggs are you talking about hatching roosters? That would make a difference, whether it is three out of three (perhaps not unusual) or 15 out of fifteen which would be. How many eggs total, that is how many in each batch are not hatching?
I once hatched 7/7 pullets and was not happy because I was starting a new breed and needed a rooster. I've also hatched 2/2 roosters.
Well from two attemps: first 4 eggs in a small simple incubator; got 2 succsessful births of 4; both roosters who died because of poorly mounted heating lamp( by me…) what did fry them ( was devastated); second attempt with a different cheap Chinese hatcher “ fully automated” from 7 eggs 3 births, all roosters; the remaining 4 : one didn’t developed; 3 died in the egg almost fully developed.

Back
Top Bottom