Why should I keep a rooster? Please help!

suburbchick

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2015
Can anyone please tell me what joys come with keeping a rooster? My gorgeous white non-bearded silkie bantam pullet turned out to be a Roo. Argh. Right now...he crows incessantly; attacks the girls until they scream; and terrorizes the younger group. Any thoughts? Of course, the hatchery won't take him back for sexing him wrong. I tried advertising him in several places to find him a home to no avail. I also contacted my local Bantam club and also 4H groups. So, please tell me why I should keep Bob and what joys come with keeping I rooster. I really need convincing right now!!!

I think it really depends on the bird's temperament. A well behaved rooster will find food for his hens, warn them of any danger and protect them from predators. But a badly behaved rooster can terrorise the hens and many even attack you. Sometimes the badness can be trained out of them and others it can't, it really just depends on the bird. Hope this helps a little. :)

If you need convincing that badly, you really should just get rid of the bird. I'm guessing you live in the suburbs, given your user name, so the first thing you should find out is if you are even allowed to have a rooster. If not, getting rid of him sooner rather than later would be best so you don't get reported by your neighbors and risk losing your whole flock. Try craigslist or the Buy/Sell/Trade section of the forum here. How about a poster at your local feed store? He'd probably become soup here, but it's possible that I have a different approach to chicken keeping than you do. I don't name mine, and they're not pets.

You shouldn't keep him. If there's no market for a silkie as a meat bird in your area, find someone to put him down for you and bury the body. Plant a blueberry plant there and he'll feed you for years.

finding someone to put a bird down shouldn't be too hard, even in the burbs. Anyone who hunts or fishes should be able.

It doesn't sound like you enjoy keeping him. If that is the case don't. List him for free on craigslist. Are there any Asian markets near you? Around here there are many immigrants that would love the black skin and meat.

Unless you free range all the time where the protection of a good roo can be invaluable, or plan to hatch eggs from breeding him to your hens, I don't see any reason to keep him. You're unhappy, your neighbors will end up unhappy, and it doesn't sound like he's a critical part of your flock or your plans. See if you can either rehome him or cull him, but hanging on to him and making you and your girls miserable just isn't necessary.

If "Bob" is causing you more problems than joy then you shouldn't keep him. I have a roo, he is overall very sweet and protective of my flock, so he is sticking around for now (as long as he can keep himself in line and doesn't become a nuisance) . He can be a little bugger sometimes towards me, but I am learning how to put him in his place (he was REALLY sweet toward me when he was a chick, but hormones kicked in and that changed).

My roo Oreo crows throughout the day for different reasons. Sometimes it can be "annoying" to me, but he has a reason for it.

I wasn't happy I had a roo. All of mine were suppose to be pullets, but even with sexed chicks it's not a guarantee you'll end up with all pullets. I have learned to embrace it, but I was already attached to him by the time I could even tell he might be a roo instead of a pullet.

Like you, I was initially very unhappy to have a cockerel. As he matured, that changed, and as I learned more about how to handle a rooster, that helped too.

Let me count the ways I like having a rooster:

1. Although he initially seemed to assault the pullets, he outgrew that over time. The initial rush of adolescent hormones can be ugly, and the pullets are clueless. Eventually, they figure it out.

2. The hens seem to like him. They compete to roost next to him. They wait for him to check out the run for safety in the morning, and to inspect a new nest box.

3. He's really big and beautiful.

4. Neighbors and I enjoy the crowing. There is something really enjoyable and satisfying about hearing a rooster in the mornings. He does not crow excessively, and crows less as he has aged.

5. He stays on alert and defends the flock. He took on a black snake.

6. He does those charming rooster things you read about: calling hens over for treats, doing his little courtship dance, breaking up squabbles between the girls.

7. He has been more trainable than I expected. For example, he learned to self load into a dog carrier when I was transporting the flock between a run area and the coop.

8. If you like animals, observing animal behavior, and are a student of animal psychology, learning to work with and handle a rooster is an interesting experience.

If you are motivated, you might want to do some research and give your little roo a chance to mature. If not, good luck rehoming or whatever you choose to do. Having a rooster is not for everybody, for sure.

Last edited:
I'm of a different mind - "There is NEVER a good reason to KEEP a bad rooster.!" There is a glut of roosters needing homes. Many of them are fine roosters and quite deserving. Others should be invited to dinner as the main course. On the BYC buy,sell, trade forum there are always roosters being offering. Some of show or breeding
quality and good disposition. Many are priced very reasonably. Find one that will be an asset to the flock and not a liability. You do need 2o posts to participate in the sales forum.

Thank you everyone for the responses!! I think I will try the No Crow collar and give it a little time for his hormones to relax. If the collar and time don't work than we will go from there.....

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom