Why tho? (Oyster shell on the side)

MinicaFarmington

Chirping
Apr 13, 2023
I understand that since I have a cockerel in my flock (still on starter/grower rn) that it would be best to use all flock feed with crushed oyster shell on the side.

But, why? Won’t he eat the oyster shell too? I’m not sure why this is better if he is also eating the oyster shells?? Thx!

I understand that since I have a cockerel in my flock (still on starter/grower rn) that it would be best to use all flock feed with crushed oyster shell on the side.

But, why? Won’t he eat the oyster shell too? I’m not sure why this is better if he is also eating the oyster shells?? Thx!
He will sample but not overindulge if it's on the side. He cannot avoid it if mixed into his ration as layer feed is.

Excess calcium (>3%) fed long term to birds not in lay *may* cause a type of gout, kidney failure, and ultimately death.. but there is a genetic component to that.. some roosters will eat layer feed their whole life and never face those issues while others may experience it much sooner.. the genetic component cannot be known, free ranging *may* help reduce or minimize risk depending on pasture conditions.. some of us have heavily invested both time and $ for our resident roosters/flocks.. and value them highly enough that it matters and is worth the higher price feed verses replacing them.

Technically speaking layer is an inappropriate feed for roosters.. and (by law in the US) should be labeled for use with appropriate "life stage" and species.

Please note the term flock raiser, all flock, starter, grower, etc.. it's all irrelevant marketing terms.. the main difference is always going to be CLOSE to this simple.. protein and amino acid content (closely intertwined).. and calcium content.. which is going to be about the same for all previous mentioned (around 1%) except maybe the "layer" & "breeder" rations which will have about 4-5% calcium.

Layer feed with it's typical 16% protein is considered the minimum to keep a light bodied layer like leghorn in laying condition.. Cost is of course a factor.. but most home keepers aren't looking to reproduce factory conditions or meet the minimum (and be culled for pet food the next year).. but to have our bird thrive many years into the future.. some laying all they way until 7+ years old. I can tell you feeding flock raiser (full time) made a huge difference come molt time!

So basically do what's inline with YOUR goals, now that you have some clear information. Sorry support links not provided.

Hope this makes easy sense! Also, hope you're enjoying BYC! :frow

He will sample but not overindulge if it's on the side. He cannot avoid it if mixed into his ration as layer feed is.

Excess calcium (>3%) fed long term to birds not in lay *may* cause a type of gout, kidney failure, and ultimately death.. but there is a genetic component to that.. some roosters will eat layer feed their whole life and never face those issues while others may experience it much sooner.. the genetic component cannot be known, free ranging *may* help reduce or minimize risk depending on pasture conditions.. some of us have heavily invested both time and $ for our resident roosters/flocks.. and value them highly enough that it matters and is worth the higher price feed verses replacing them.

Technically speaking layer is an inappropriate feed for roosters.. and (by law in the US) should be labeled for use with appropriate "life stage" and species.

Please note the term flock raiser, all flock, starter, grower, etc.. it's all irrelevant marketing terms.. the main difference is always going to be CLOSE to this simple.. protein and amino acid content (closely intertwined).. and calcium content.. which is going to be about the same for all previous mentioned (around 1%) except maybe the "layer" & "breeder" rations which will have about 4-5% calcium.

Layer feed with it's typical 16% protein is considered the minimum to keep a light bodied layer like leghorn in laying condition.. Cost is of course a factor.. but most home keepers aren't looking to reproduce factory conditions or meet the minimum (and be culled for pet food the next year).. but to have our bird thrive many years into the future.. some laying all they way until 7+ years old. I can tell you feeding flock raiser (full time) made a huge difference come molt time!

So basically do what's inline with YOUR goals, now that you have some clear information. Sorry support links not provided.

Hope this makes easy sense! Also, hope you're enjoying BYC! :frow
Hi! MY goals are to feed the best biologically appropriate diet that I’m able to afford to keep my birds as healthy and long lived as possible. My birds aren’t to the laying stage yet so hopefully starter/grower is fine for now. (They’re about 3mos old.) It’s unmedicated/organic and they also get fresh scraps from the kitchen… and scrambled eggs… and a little mash (their crumble with warm water soaked in)… and I put them on fresh ground for a few hours each day outside of their coop/run area. I try to spoil them but in a way that’s healthy for a chicken. Lol

I have just never had a roo before and I was researching because I read that they shouldn’t eat layer feed and I wanted to get my head around it before I upgrade them from starter/grower. If that makes sense??

Ty so much for your thorough response!! That was really helpful. If you have any suggestions with my goals in mind or with what I’m doing now, I’m all ears!

Will the hens get enough calcium if the shell is on the side? I guess I’m worried that they may not eat enough. I’m sure I’m overthinking it. But, I want to do what I can for them. I like to learn from others experience instead of the hard way whenever possible! Lol

Thx again!

Will the hens get enough calcium if the shell is on the side?

a few might skimp a bit but they'll be fine.
That ^^^

I use an all flock feed with oyster shell on the side. I get the occasional soft shell egg. But that is all. Everyone has the feed that is appropriate for their age and gender.

Back
Top Bottom