Why won't my flock go in the coop during a storm?

MayberrySaint

Chillin' Out
12 Years
Mar 7, 2007
Mount Airy, NC
I am at a loss to explain my flock's insane desire to stay outside under a bush during severe thunderstorms. They refuse to go in the coop. They look like drowned rats right now...
barnie.gif

Mine don't come in out of the rain either!! I looked like a drowned rat the last time it rained.....I was trying to chase them into their coop. I guess I'm just gonna let them get wet. Wouldn't worry if I didn't have silkies...they're not waterproof like the other chickens. What to do??
idunno.gif

I have a "shelter", per se, for mine.

Just an old, decrepit kitchen table.

Otherwise, they'd let themselves get and stay totally soaked.

Dunno why my ladies like to stay in the wet...their babies do, too.

Billy used to lead them to the table in the storms...Gosh I miss Billy...I miss his crow when it was going to storm, and just feeling "welcomed" every morning.

Now mine have figured out that the overhang of the house is a good place to root hog or die in a storm. But they still stay on their run-roosts regardless of weather conditions at night! Goobers! But we haven't had rain in so long here, I'm sure the chickies would welcome a refreshing shower.

And I thought it was only my dumb clucks that stayed out in the rain! We had a gully washer last week and the pen flooded. We had 4.5 inches of rain in 45 minutes. Thunder, lightning, wind gusts. My goofy birds were wading around like they were at a water park. The coop is raised and they could have gone in to stay dry, but noooo!

Back
Top Bottom