why won't my rhode island reds roost?

SilkieSanctuary

In the Brooder
Sep 14, 2016
I have six silkies and 2 rhode island red hens that have grown up together since day one. They are now a little over 5 months old and the rhode island reds still sleep on the ground with the silkies. I know that they can jump on their roost. It is plenty of room for the two of them. I swear that they think they are silkies! Any ideas on why they don't roost at night and how I can get them to? Any help is very much appreciated!

The RIRs don't know they're not Silkies. They are part of the "unit" they were raised with. It's only natural they will prefer to sleep where the rest are sleeping.

If you want them to roost, you need to encourage them to adopt the habit by placing them on the perch. You'll have better luck if you do this when it's already too dark for them to see well enough to hop off in search of the Silkie pile.

Chances are that they will eventually start roosting on their own. It's a very strong instinct to want to sleep on a high place. Unless you're a Silkie, that is. They're weird.

My he s didn't get with the program until they were a little older. Then something just clicked for them and they started getting up on the perch. They might just be a little young still. Best idea would be to go out at night and put them up on the perch to help teach them.

Hi, and :welcome glad you joined us.
Chickens are very "chicken see, chicken do" they just do what ever the majority is doing. Plus, if the rest of the flock is on the ground, then they will want to be there for warmth, and protection, strength in numbers. Even if they aren't any more protected in reality. Hope this helps.

The RIRs don't know they're not Silkies. They are part of the "unit" they were raised with. It's only natural they will prefer to sleep where the rest are sleeping.

If you want them to roost, you need to encourage them to adopt the habit by placing them on the perch. You'll have better luck if you do this when it's already too dark for them to see well enough to hop off in search of the Silkie pile.

Chances are that they will eventually start roosting on their own. It's a very strong instinct to want to sleep on a high place. Unless you're a Silkie, that is. They're weird.

Good advise.

Back
Top Bottom