Why would a 10 Week old Roo sit down a lot?

Michelle_Mel

Chirping
Nov 22, 2020
Northern Massachusetts
I have a 10 week old Roo that seems healthy and alert however he sits down after walking 5-10 steps. He pecks at the ground from his seated position. I checked him over and everything looks fine. Any ideas what could be going on? I don’t know the breed since I “thought” I was buying a black sex link hen :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_1138.jpeg
    IMG_1138.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1139.jpeg
    IMG_1139.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1141.jpeg
    IMG_1141.jpeg
    388.2 KB · Views: 10
OK not a broiler. A video will be able to tell us how frequently he actually sits. IMO he's growing into his body. Some of my heavy bodied cockerels do that as well

What does his poop look like? Coccidiosis can make them weak and lay down more often. Worms can cause nutritional deficits with similar effects.

Did you check him and the coop for poultry mites? Mites attack during the night and suck the chickens blood, so they will get weaker and appear more tired during the day.

Did he perhaps have a growth spurt lately (legs!)? If so, he might need a bit of extra Calcium + Vit.D + time to help his legs get stronger and adjust.

ETA: And check his feet carefully, a twisted toe can hurt lots and the soles can easily get injured and infected by thorns etc.

What does his poop look like? Coccidiosis can make them weak and lay down more often. Worms can cause nutritional deficits with similar effects.

Did you check him and the coop for poultry mites? Mites attack during the night and suck the chickens blood, so they will get weaker and appear more tired during the day.

Did he perhaps have a growth spurt lately (legs!)? If so, he might need a bit of extra Calcium + Vit.D + time to help his legs get stronger and adjust.

ETA: And check his feet carefully, a twisted toe can hurt lots and the soles can easily get injured and infected by thorns etc.

Thank you, I will check on those issues. He did get quite large quickly. My first thought was that his legs weren’t strong enough to hold him up for long. I wasn’t sure if that was a “thing” with chickens. Hopefully that is all that it is. Maybe some Nutridrench wo be helpful?

Back
Top Bottom