why would a chicken be separating herself from the group?

gallinamama

Songster
9 Years
May 14, 2010
Macomb, Michigan
This chicken has been acting very strange. At first she was behind a straw bale. she was there for more than a week... my sisterinlaw said maybe she was broody... I waited and waited and finally I had to move the bale. she flew out!.. and no egg or nothing... I felt bad.. thinking she must of been stuck.. but no.. she did another strange thing... she kept sitting on the nest and wouldn't move.

she is not violent or not doing anything other than not wanting to be with the others.. now today I go out and I was missing a chicken.. it was her!! she couldn't of gotten out so she must be there... so I looked everywhere... she is in a small confined space between the wall and cement board..

Do I remove her from there? I do not know what to do? Do chickens do this behavior when they are broody? and what do you do? Do they do anything if they feel they are sick iin anyway and remove themselves from the group? I am so confused.
idunno.gif

No, she doesn't... she walks and runs but when she goes into the run where the other chickens are.. she comes flying back into the coop, like she is scared....?????
idunno.gif

I will keep a watch on her...
if she does lose feathers or something like that what would that mean? is it a disease? my coop is as clean as I can keep it in the winter.. and I do use a powder for lice and bugs...

<3ChickenForever :

Is she hurt at all? Does she have loss of feathers anywhere?​

Sometimes they will keep separate if they don't feel well. Check her temperature ... the top should be about the same temp as the bottom. Is her belly swollen or hard? Sitting on the nest without laying an egg could be a sign that she's uncomfortable -- either needs to lay an egg and might be eggbound or is bloated maybe due to peritonitis or some other condition.

Is she new to the flock? Could this just be an integration issue?

I am so new to this... I have never taken a chickens temp before... is it the same as a human? and what temp should it be for normal? please do not laugh... I just never thought of it before. and one more thing... what kind of thermometer?
hu.gif
thank you for your help.

Rusty's Ranch :

Sometimes they will keep separate if they don't feel well. Check her temperature ... the top should be about the same temp as the bottom. Is her belly swollen or hard? Sitting on the nest without laying an egg could be a sign that she's uncomfortable -- either needs to lay an egg and might be eggbound or is bloated maybe due to peritonitis or some other condition.

Is she new to the flock? Could this just be an integration issue?​

Nothing technical ... just use your hands. Hold your chicken and see if her belly feels warmer than the top of her. If she's noticeably warmer on the bottom, you may have a problem.

<3ChickenForever :

Quote:

For the lose of feathers might be that she's scared of getting bred. Some hens really don't like that.​

Me either:lau that might explain when the other chickens are around or I go to pick her up she crouches down like she is scared. poor thing...

Back
Top Bottom