Why You Shouldn't Keep Just One Duck

I made a little graphic like this for geese and was asked to make one for ducks too, so here it is:

View attachment 1302442
These are all good things to know. My problem>i've had 4 ready to hatch. 1 was a week early, 2 were breach & only 1 surviived. PG&E was off for 5 hours on Mon. I believe that was the current culprit. I tried to help the 2 out of the shell, but they didn't even make it out alive. Now I have 40 in the incubators. What can I do to incourage live hatches?

The Five Freedoms can be used to assess any practices in keeping animals, or birds. These are:

1. Freedom from hunger and thirst: by ready access to fresh water and a diet to maintain full health and vigour.
  2. Freedom from discomfort: by providing an appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area.
  3. Freedom from pain, injury or disease: by prevention through rapid diagnosis and treatment.
  4. Freedom to express normal behaviour: by providing sufficient space, proper facilities and company of the animal’s own kind.
  5. Freedom from fear and distress: by ensuring conditions and treatment which avoid mental suffering.
Although it can be difficult to meet all five, with many farming systems, giving freedom to express normal behaviour is one that's reasonably easy to meet by providing ducks with duck company 👍
Maslow's Triangle
https://www.simplypsychology.org/maslow.html

When my ducks have full bellies due to my generosity, they are at self actualization, hiding from me! 😆

Back
Top Bottom