Wild, paralyzed squirrel, moving, what to do?

Bettacreek

Crowing
15 Years
Jan 7, 2009
Central Pennsyltucky
Ok, so someone ran over one of the wild squirrels here awhile back. It does fine, I put extra feed out for it and when it's trying to cross the driveway and can't get through the chickens, I typically eithershoo the birds away or scoop it up and take it to the tree its heading for. Here's the dilemma I'm facing... We're moving soon. There are no trees where we're moving, or I'd contemplate moving it with us. I'm afraid of what might happen to it when we move. If I take it to a treatment center, will they kill it? Doesn't seem fair to let it die after surviving for months, mostly on its own. What should I do?

They won't just kill it, will they? She's not really handleable, so it wouldn't make for one of the animals that they could take for educational purposes or anything. It only tolerates me because it basically has to. :/

Betta..even if they kill it humanely..it better than suffering with no food ..etc..:( Contact a rehabber..so it wont suffer. Most of them will probably try to rehabilitate it and not kill it.

I can vouch for the rehabbers in Virginia. I had 2 baby squirrels come out of a nest and fall onto the ground in front of me Their eyes weren't even opened. I called wildlife and local vets and they told me to try and put them back in the nest...no go at 40 feet up, so we nailed a shoebox at 20 feet high in the same tree. The mother must have gotten killed because she didn't come back after a day. They run the greatest risk of dehydration and getting cold apparently. I had these little babies on a heating pad giving them water through a syringe every 2 hours throughout the night until the next day when I contacted a rehabber. They said they would raise the squirrels until they could live on their own and would set them free, but doing it with minimal impact so they wouldn't loose their sense of being wild and not able to take care of themselves. Go with your gut and trust the rehabbers. Most that I hear of really care for these critters and will do no unnecessary harm. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom