Wild Turkeys "visiting" my new to me flock

AthenaT

Chirping
Mar 11, 2015
Port Richey Florida
We live i n an are boarding a swampy area and I have always enjoyed seeing the wild turkey flocks each year. Since I rescued (most of my) Flock. there are 3 Large wild turkey hens visiting my yard and eating with them. Do I have anything to worry about ? all my hens are youngish pullets. they seem to be getting along fine but boy those turkeys eat alot of pellets...maybe I should try and convince them to roost and lay eggs for me ...LOL at least that way they would earn the feed.

Hello and
welcome-byc.gif

For relevant advice, I'd suggest you add your location to your profile info. :)

I don't know if you're talking about bush/'brush' turkeys in Australia, or wild turkeys in America, or any of the native species in other countries...

Best wishes.

Ah ok. Well, I haven't got any first-hand experience with truly wild American turkeys, but from what I've read, like all wild counterparts of domestic poultry they are somewhat (or in some cases extremely) susceptible to diseases domestic poultry commonly carry (but are resistant to), as they're not exposed to them naturally... Or they're only exposed to weaker wild strains of the diseases which have become quite strong under domestic conditions. So chances are having them regularly associate with your flock is ultimately going to do them no favors.

Turkeys can also become quite aggressive over food or breeding resources like nesting areas, but I'm guessing that if you don't try to restrain them, or have them breed in your coops or nearby areas, you shouldn't have that issue... Probably.

Them feeding on the pellets intended for domestic poultry can be detrimental to their health, they're not adapted to a domestic diet. I'd be concerned about the impact on their wild viability, or that of their offspring, but maybe that's just me. Generally wild birds feeding on processed products intended for domestic poultry or birds does come with problems.

There may be laws or regulations concerning them of which you'd need to be aware, depending on your area, but I don't know for sure about any of that.

Best wishes.

Well I certainly dont want to hurt the wild turkeys in any way. We actually live IN a smallish city but have much wildlife living in the large swampy area we back upto. I have had to call the cops on people heading in to hunt the turkeys on more than a few occasions...we also have foxes, raccoon, possums, alligators, armadillos and even a Florida black bear living in there. How do I keep them from flying in and eating the treats and small amount of pellets I put outside the coop for my chickens....Topping the entire back yard is not a economical option

Hmm, well, three turkey hens is not a huge amount, I would assume they would probably not keep coming if you frightened them off, either way it doesn't sound like much of an issue yet, but, they may bring poults back and that could rapidly become a serious issue in terms of aggressive mothers attacking chickens, or ending up with a massive population that views your place as a food dispenser.

It may be perfectly legal for you to feed them there for all I know. If I were you I'd check into the local regulations of government or council responsible for your area to make sure I wouldn't end up with a fine for feeding them or dealing with them in whatever way, just to be safe. Sometimes things get crazy, like fishermen being fined for birds of prey stealing their fish, etc. lol.

Good luck with them.

Last spring the tribe(s) totaled 64 when they started bring the pullets out so that could be an issue...at last count I saw 27 total adults at one time. may have to build a LARGE covered run before it becomes an issue. Didn't think about that

Last spring the tribe(s) totaled 64 when they started bring the pullets out so that could be an issue...at last count I saw 27 total adults at one time. may have to build a LARGE covered run before it becomes an issue. Didn't think about that

Whoa! LOL yes that could be a huge issue, in terms of your feedbill alone.

Good luck with that.

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom