Turkey mauled yesterday

Because the turkey was not killed before the feather plucking, I'm sure it was dog.

As for your chickens being sick, they could use a vitamin C supplement, regardless of what is doing them in. Vitamin C takes out viruses and bacteria and cancer cells. Give each bird one pinch of vitamin C powder or granules two times a day.
Could I add to water?

Whatever you do vitamin-supplement wise I do not recommend putting drugs in the water at all (not that you intended to do that), otherwise I add probiotics and or enzymes to their water when they're sick or appear having a rough time.

Last year in March, I decided I wanted to start keeping chickens again… I started out with four Brahmas, and quickly added some Prairie bluebells, a few handicapped Polish, Easter eggers, Cochins, Orpingtons and a leghorn, silkies, and a goose. I hatched out some ducks that I rehomed because I did not know what a mess they would make in my coop but they were fun and I got some turkeys… I didn’t realize they were meat birds when I got them but I’ve been trying to keep the weight down on them, because I have no intention of ever eating them because I don’t like turkey anyway. I’ve been losing my chickens to what we believe is mareks and I’ve had other posts on here asking questions, and seeking advice. This has been a lot of fun for me when things are good, but I have so much heartbreak right now. I’m wondering if I want to continue because I feel like I’m failing them all. Day before yesterday I separated my two turkeys, because they were beating the crap out of each other. One male one female, and I let them both out later yesterday, and I saw my Tom, but couldn’t find my female so I went looking for her. Unfortunately something had gotten her and ripped, almost all the feathers off of her and she had a few big gashes in her . She was still alive when I found her and my husband did put her down. I am wondering what may have gotten her? At first I thought maybe a neighborhood dog but now I’m thinking maybe an eagle or a hawk the way that she was ripped open and had random puncture wounds. Any ideas on what could have done this? And has anybody else been through this where they’ve lost over half their flock and felt like giving up?Sorry this is so rambly, I’m just at a loss and feel so guilty for what my birds have been enduring.
dog bite. looks just like one that I saw on a Rhode Island Red. She survived, and for the rest of her life, you could see her shoulder joint through a gap in her feathers. she is also the one who tried to peck out my eyes.

dog bite. looks just like one that I saw on a Rhode Island Red. She survived, and for the rest of her life, you could see her shoulder joint through a gap in her feathers. she is also the one who tried to peck out my eyes.
😳 dang!!! I got my eyes pecked at once. I think it wasn’t malicious just curiosity. I wish I could have saved her, but she was in so much pain I’m sure. I haven’t said anything to the neighbor as I didn’t see the attack, but I’m 99.999% sure it was theirs. I have 4 dogs so she is leery about stepping onto my property, hope she won’t be back but I’ve seen her since.

Whatever you do vitamin-supplement wise I do not recommend putting drugs in the water at all (not that you intended to do that), otherwise I add probiotics and or enzymes to their water when they're sick or appear having a rough time.
I’ve been adding some acv or the recover plus to their water. That really cleared up my poopy eggs. I made them a fresh blackberry and plain Greek yogurt treat a few times. Thats like crack to them.

Back
Top Bottom