Will 1" Hex Chicken Wire Be OK For This Run?

Smokerbill

Free Ranging
Apr 1, 2023
SW Washington
I'm building a chicken run underneath an overhanging metal roof on the back side of my metal shop building. The back wall of the run will be the wall of the shop. The front of the coop will make up the majority of the east wall. Size will be 10' x 12', about 8' high.

The base of the walls will be 2x6 lumber, on edge. Two foot tall strips of OSB will be attached to the top of the 2x6's, making a 30" solid wall around the run. A 2' hardware skirt will extend out from the base, and I plan to run a couple of electric fence wires around the perimeter too.

So my question is would 1 inch chicken wire be strong enough to fill the 6' gap between the top of the OSB and the roof rafters? With the solid wall and electric fence at the base, I don't see any chance of racoons or possums making it above the OSB wall. I'd like the run to be secure enough so that the chickens can roost in the run overnight if they want.

I'm building a chicken run underneath an overhanging metal roof on the back side of my metal shop building. The back wall of the run will be the wall of the shop. The front of the coop will make up the majority of the east wall. Size will be 10' x 12', about 8' high.

The base of the walls will be 2x6 lumber, on edge. Two foot tall strips of OSB will be attached to the top of the 2x6's, making a 30" solid wall around the run. A 2' hardware skirt will extend out from the base, and I plan to run a couple of electric fence wires around the perimeter too.

So my question is would 1 inch chicken wire be strong enough to fill the 6' gap between the top of the OSB and the roof rafters? With the solid wall and electric fence at the base, I don't see any chance of racoons or possums making it above the OSB wall. I'd like the run to be secure enough so that the chickens can roost in the run overnight if they want.
If theres any trees overhanging, a coon will use it to gain access. Mink or weasel will easily defeat electric fence, and the chicken wire won't stop them. Can you post pics of your setup?

No trees. The run will be entirely underneath the roof. I guess a coon could climb up a post and work their way along a rafter to access the top of the fence.

Attachments

• coop.JPG
    coop.JPG
    219.3 KB · Views: 31
No trees. The run will be entirely underneath the roof. I guess a coon could climb up a post and work their way along a rafter to access the top of the fence.

They certainly could. For the little added cost to add HC to that area, it would be money well spent. The piece of mind know you went that extra step is well worth it.

Back
Top Bottom