Will a Float Test determine if a Chick has "Shrink-Wrapped" or died before Pipping?

Apr 20, 2020
Hello!

I would like to know what a float test can prove so late in the hatching process? If you know they have reached full term, and one fails in the egg, will it then sink?

Whats the science here?

I'd like to hear of everyone's experiences with this!

Ugh, I hate this 'test'. No it wont tell you if a chick has shrinkwrapped and if you float test after an external pip has occurred you will drown the chick because there is a hole in the shell. Shrink wrapping occurs when an egg is exposed to a continual reduction in humidity as happens when your incubator is opened and closed too much.

A float test can tell you if a very delayed chick is still alive in the shell because while the egg is floating in the water, the movement of the chick will cause the egg to bob and shake and it is very obvious movement. Sometimes, if the chick is resting in the shell, there might not be any movement and you might consider the chick dead in which case you throw the egg away needlessly. No 'science' really.

Float tests. :rolleyes:
They were supposed to tell whether an eating egg is fresh or not, and somehow has gotten involved in incubating eggs. I don't want to drown my chicks right before they hatch.
Pass. :duc

Back
Top Bottom