Will a hen raise new hatchlings along with older chicks?

Ali74

In the Brooder
Jul 18, 2018
One of my broodies, Jennifer Grey, just hatched five chicks. Looks like she abandoned them on the coop floor and returned to the nest of unhatched eggs. This is her first set of babies. The new hatchlings found another hen, Mama Grey, with three week old chicks, and crawled under her. My question is will Mama Grey care for the new babies along with her older chicks? She didn't seem to mind the new arrivals when I locked them up for the night. Will Jennifer Grey come around to caring for them tomorrow? I'm afraid of finding dead chicks in the morning, but I'm not equipped with a brooder to move them into.

Hi Ali74! I do not know the answer to your question, but I just posted something similar and curious what the experts will say! I would imagine if she already accepted them, they should be okay? Interested to see what others think... And best of luck to you!

This is one of those things that really depends on the hen, but if she's like most broodies, I would guess that Mama Gray is not going to be happy about the invaders. Your girl could be different. Every chicken's an individual.

Whether you decide Jennifer should mother them or that you want to try with Mama, Jennifer should take them tonight, since you know she won't kill them. Block the nest so that they can't get out.

If all of the eggs your Jennifer has are due to hatch soon, just wait until the eggs hatch. If the hatch is staggered (eggs due to hatch several days apart) I'd either pray that your Mama Gray takes them, or sacrifice the unhatched eggs.

If you want Mama to raise them, I'd advise you to try and put them under her tomorrow so that you can supervise and see whether she accepts them or not.

Even if Mama grey wants to adopt these babies, they won't be able to keep up with chicks three weeks older. Hens don't actually count their brood, they listen for distress call from chicks separated from the group. This just isn't likely to work well for the tiny ones at all.
If you do try this, really watch them!
The best broody for them is Jennifer, if she's still interested.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom