Will a single RIR be a bully, or is it a cliquish behavior? Ditto Barred Rocks.

Sunshine_Amy

Songster
Apr 9, 2022
Western Mass
I heard two chicken podcasters commiserating once that their Barred Rocks were very "cliquish." If I understood them right, it seems they're prone to bullying if there's more than one of them. Something I read recently had me wondering if the same is true with the notoriously bullying RIRs, and, consequently, if that meant I might actually be able to have a single one without such behavior.

Thoughts?

I haven't tried either breed, but would love to. As I mentioned in a recent post, I'm considering some more timid breeds (Salmon Faverolles, Light Brahma, maybe Bielefelder at some point), and have avoided RIR and even Barred Rocks for that reason.

Last edited:
That's all generalizations. Breeding has more to do with temperament. I've had show quality RIR and they were meek and easy going. I've had singles of most every breed without problems. My experiences has been that sex links can get aggressive, but others keep them and say they are nice.

I always read the breed descriptions with a grain of salt. Chickens of any breed that are kept confined, and in smaller set ups, or those fed an improper diet can become somewhat aggressive. There's a lot of factors that go into a chicken becoming aggressive, not just the breed or how many there are of them. The pecking order is complex and ever changing.

Chicks imprint on anything that is around them at hatch time. Most hatchery chicks see people, and their own breed for the first few hours, so it may play into them favoring their own breeds, and sticking with those breeds if given the opportunity.

The chicken mind is about its own survival and that of it's potential offspring. If there's enough room and a proper diet most chickens get along fine. When a flock reaches a certain point when resources are spread thinner than dominant birds may try to drive out meeker birds which is viewed as aggression by the keeper.

Give them enough room and a good diet without too many extras and most chickens will live happily together. Bored chickens look for things to do. Busy chickens don't. So when people say this breed was aggressive for them it doesn't show the whole picture because they aren't including information about housing or feeding or even breeding behind the bird.

That's all generalizations. Breeding has more to do with temperament. I've had show quality RIR and they were meek and easy going. I've had singles of most every breed without problems. My experiences has been that sex links can get aggressive, but others keep them and say they are nice.

I always read the breed descriptions with a grain of salt. Chickens of any breed that are kept confined, and in smaller set ups, or those fed an improper diet can become somewhat aggressive. There's a lot of factors that go into a chicken becoming aggressive, not just the breed or how many there are of them. The pecking order is complex and ever changing.

Chicks imprint on anything that is around them at hatch time. Most hatchery chicks see people, and their own breed for the first few hours, so it may play into them favoring their own breeds, and sticking with those breeds if given the opportunity.

The chicken mind is about its own survival and that of it's potential offspring. If there's enough room and a proper diet most chickens get along fine. When a flock reaches a certain point when resources are spread thinner than dominant birds may try to drive out meeker birds which is viewed as aggression by the keeper.

Give them enough room and a good diet without too many extras and most chickens will live happily together. Bored chickens look for things to do. Busy chickens don't. So when people say this breed was aggressive for them it doesn't show the whole picture because they aren't including information about housing or feeding or even breeding behind the bird.
I understand that there's no guarantee regarding behavior and agree that there are many factors that will both cause and alleviate bullying tendencies. I researched the heck out of breeds to avoid bullying types, and still we get some feather pulling when the provided entertainment isn't up to snuff in their large, confined run. Which speaks well to your point.

Since I'm keeping up most, but not all, of the time with my chickens' need to be busy, I would not like to introduce breeds known for bullying at all, but wondered if the cliquish behavior is enough of a thing that a so-called bullying breed might be more comparable to any other average breed if there's just one of them. It's a theory. Just trying to get more info on it.

I understand that there's no guarantee regarding behavior and agree that there are many factors that will both cause and alleviate bullying tendencies. I researched the heck out of breeds to avoid bullying types, and still we get some feather pulling when the provided entertainment isn't up to snuff in their large, confined run. Which speaks well to your point.

Since I'm keeping up most, but not all, of the time with my chickens' need to be busy, I would not like to introduce breeds known for bullying at all, but wondered if the cliquish behavior is enough of a thing that a so-called bullying breed might be more comparable to any other average breed if there's just one of them. It's a theory. Just trying to get more info on it.
I think certain breeds take to confinement better than others. Those salmon faverolles, and some Bantam breeds like cochins can be perfectly happy sitting in a run all day. Other breeds were bred to be more active and spend their days foraging.

RIR used to be a farm staple. They kept busy cleaning up spilt grains from the livestock and catching bugs. My show bred ones were from lines that were bred to be calm and easier to handle. I think looking at the original purpose of breeds and what the current breeders are doing with them can help you to decide what to add. I have never had an aggressive RIR, but I haven't bought them recently, nor from a hatchery. Barred rocks seem very easy going to me. Temperament may vary from different sources.

I keep two separate flocks. One is completely free range, and one is confined to a run, but allowed to range on good days. I only keep bantams in the confined coop because I know they can handle it, and actually seem to prefer staying in their run. The other flock is a mix of various standard breeds. I have never seen any aggression, but they go out as they please. I did have faverolles in the flock in the past, and they were quite meek and did get their beards plucked. Some breeds are just more vigorous.

Some breeds to look at to pair with those faverolle would be cochins, Orpingtons, polish, or some Bantam breeds if you want a peaceful flock.

Thank you, I appreciate your experienced perspective.

Not to confuse things, but the other thread I currently have going is discussing what to pair with my current birds, and it is more accurate in describing my current flock and immediate questions. I don't currently have Faverolles and am considering getting them to pair with birds (no RIR). I'd be curious to hear your response in that thread as well.

Thanks for your help here!

Back
Top Bottom