Will these breeds get bullied?

Sunshine_Amy

Songster
Apr 9, 2022
Western Mass
Hi everyone!

I've got a chick order in, but I'm having second thoughts on breeds, worrying about potential bullying, and wondering if I should change my order to avoid the more timid breeds. I did research all of my current breeds originally, taking care to avoid bullying breeds, but I still find a fair amount of feathers in the run at times (non-molting). The hens have a 6x10 coop, an enclosed 10x18 foot run, and no rooster. No one's been picked to the point of visible bald spots, and providing extra entertainment seems to solve the issue, but is hard to keep up with.

Current breeds (1 each), listed in approx. pecking order, top to bottom:
Olive Egger (appears to be BCM x Creme Legbar)
BCM
Wellsummer
Speckled Sussex
Australorp
Ancona
Ameraucana (a splash, she's the only light colored one and gets singled out by my Wellie)

Breeds on my current chick order (1 each):
Salmon Faverolles
Light Brahma
Favaucana (Salmon Faverolles x Ameraucana)
Ameraucana (another splash)

What do you think, will these new girls fair okay, feathered feet and sweet personalities, or should I skip them?
Amy

I think they'll be okay. Only issue I'd see is potentially having leg feathers plucked if your olive egger and BCM don't have super feathered legs. Generally it's new/standout things that get targeted (like having a single crested bird or a single muffled bird)

I think they'll be okay. Only issue I'd see is potentially having leg feathers plucked if your olive egger and BCM don't have super feathered legs. Generally it's new/standout things that get targeted (like having a single crested bird or a single muffled bird)
That's what I am wondering. My BCM has feathered legs (I can't recall if my Olive Egger does or not; probably), but not feet, and two or three of the new birds will have feathered feet.

My faverolles were fairly meek, but did okay, except for getting their muffs plucked. They are nice little birds. I also considered adding more this year, but decided not to as I prefer birds that can hold their own. I don't think you will have problems, but don't be surprised if it ends up being your bottom bird in the pecking order and becomes your favorite. I used to feed my one treats secretly on the sly.

I never saw any problems adding ones with feathered legs.

Back
Top Bottom