Will a small animal (like a hamster) water bottle work for chicks?

becstalls

Crowing
13 Years
May 22, 2010
Indiana, PA
I haven’t been able to find an answer to this with a search, but will a small animal waterer, like the kind you’d use in a hamster cage work for baby chicks? I already have one I can use, and it seems like it would be a good solution to assure they have clean water. But since it doesn’t look like anyone uses one, I’m wondering if there’s something I don’t know. Anyone have experience? TIA

Do you have a picture of it? Many people use vertical nipple waterers for chicks:

s-l400.png

Last edited:
i dunno, i use a cardboard box brooder and that sounds like a wet spot waiting to happen lol ... theyre dirty little boogers, so are all birds, so i spray out and change water daily whatever i use ... what works for me is a large low plastic lid with just enough water to last adding some once a day, then spraying it out once a day .. this is just for fresh chicks the first 3 days till theyre all eating drinking well .. then i switch to a coffee mug with the handle in a corner and secure it with an old screwdriver punched through the corner of the box .. they cant make a mess out of that lol .. still requires spraying out once a day but thats easy ..

I've used those bottles before with some success. As with any waterer, make sure the chick knows what it is and is drinking enough. When given the choice between the bottle and a dish, though, my chicks have always preferred the dish. Since my bottles always drip, I put a small dish under it to catch. If you're lucky enough to have a bottle that doesn't drip, congrats!

Back
Top Bottom