Will allowing my broody hen to hatch out eggs discourage her from being broody in the future?

So do you think it's worth trying? I don't really need chicks right now. I could afford to keep maybe two but I'd do it if it means she might not be a crazy broody for a few months.

Other option: I'm picking up meat chicks (rainbow rangers) from Meyer next week. Could I have her raise those? Or is there a high chance she would kill them?
For mine, it seems that raising chicks keeps her from being broody again this year.
Giving her chicks—-works best if she’s been broody 2-3 weeks already, and if the chicks are only a day old. Have a plan for if she doesn’t accept them. But she sounds like a good candidate.
I gave 6 chicks to a hen this year after her eggs all quit. She had been broody 2 weeks. I waited until night to slip them under. I knew they had been hatched the previous day. They hadn’t lost their instinct to go under mama, tho they’d been in a brooder all day and had been eating and drinking already. She happily adopted them!

I have 3 hens that are compulsive broodies, and who have had to go into broody jail (wire cage in my basement) for 3 days every month all summer. The 4 times I have let mamas raise babies, I did so with the idea of saving myself the trouble of dealing with this broody-breaking. However, getting ready for babies, and all the arrangements they need actually is a LOT more trouble than breaking the broodiness. At least in mine.
It’s rewarding, but….a LOT of work and worry. IMG_5117.jpeg

For mine, it seems that raising chicks keeps her from being broody again this year.
Giving her chicks—-works best if she’s been broody 2-3 weeks already, and if the chicks are only a day old. Have a plan for if she doesn’t accept them. But she sounds like a good candidate.
I gave 6 chicks to a hen this year after her eggs all quit. She had been broody 2 weeks. I waited until night to slip them under. I knew they had been hatched the previous day. They hadn’t lost their instinct to go under mama, tho they’d been in a brooder all day and had been eating and drinking already. She happily adopted them!
Good to know. She'll have been broody a little over 2 weeks the day I'm picking up the chicks (or eggs).
I have 3 hens that are compulsive broodies, and who have had to go into broody jail (wire cage in my basement) for 3 days every month all summer. The 4 times I have let mamas raise babies, I did so with the idea of saving myself the trouble of dealing with this broody-breaking. However, getting ready for babies, and all the arrangements they need actually is a LOT more trouble than breaking the broodiness. At least in mine.
It’s rewarding, but….a LOT of work and worry. View attachment 3633367
That's a good point. But I guess I'm already preparing for some chicks anyway, and if this saves me from dealing with a broody a few times, might be worth it.

leaning toward getting hatching eggs because it's less risk of having dead baby chicks.
I don't know if that is true, people graft chicks all the time. Just make sure you do them all at once and at night and check early in the AM, it should all be fine. I have actually never heard about a hen attacking chicks in this scenario, usually it is another broody hen or another flock mate that is the issue.

I guess I'm a little worried though, from the horror stories I've heard of hens killing chicks. Hatching eggs seem like less of a risk, but then it's more chicks to deal with so idk lol
Just watch her when you give them to her. If she starts pecking and growling and throwing a fit, take them away

I have had success with day old chicks, hatching eggs, and even 4 week old chicks with one broody lady. It really does depend on the breed and the bird whether they will break and be happy or not. But you do at least get eggs from them while they raise the babies if they are really momma material. I have one who just really loves sitting—hates momming. I have several that love it and do it super well. I have had a couple who killed the babies as they hatched. And my two silkies that would brood, raise, brood, raise, and maybe lay 2-3 eggs all summer. They just wanna have babies!! Sort of like people 😆 She does sound more committed but I will say my friend finally gave her Australorp eggs to hatch and she abandoned them and went broody again. So you just never know! As others have said, you just need to give her a try and see what works for her :) Or trade her with someone wanting a super broody 😁 Meat chicks would be fine IF she’s willing to take babies. I make sure to remove eggs as I give the babies so she connects the baby to an egg under her and stops brooding to momma. Hatching eggs works great, but you will want enough to ensure she gets one or two babies and not quitter eggs…otherwise she will not break. I gave my persistent broodies 5 eggs and 3 hatched. Worked perfectly. But I have had shipped eggs that didn’t hatch at all and had to get chicks anyway. So keep that in mind!

I don't know if that is true, people graft chicks all the time. Just make sure you do them all at once and at night and check early in the AM, it should all be fine. I have actually never heard about a hen attacking chicks in this scenario, usually it is another broody hen or another flock mate that is the issue.
Good to know! So maybe the meat chickens are an option. I do have an old prefab coop I could maybe move the broody to where she and the chicks could be away from others.
Just watch her when you give them to her. If she starts pecking and growling and throwing a fit, take them away
If she accepts them from the start, does it mean she won't abandon them/hurt them later on? We can't afford to have our meat chickens killed as they are our food source, so that's kind of my worry. Having any chicks killed would be sad but from a practical standpoint losing the meat chicks because of the broody would be fairly detrimental for us.

Good to know! So maybe the meat chickens are an option. I do have an old prefab coop I could maybe move the broody to where she and the chicks could be away from others.

If she accepts them from the start, does it mean she won't abandon them/hurt them later on? We can't afford to have our meat chickens killed as they are our food source, so that's kind of my worry. Having any chicks killed would be sad but from a practical standpoint losing the meat chicks because of the broody would be fairly detrimental for us.
There is always a risk that some won't make it, just like there's always a risk that some won't naked it in the brooder. But if she tucks them underneath and starts making happy sounds, it's about as good as you'll get.

Back
Top Bottom