Will an adult quail care for newborn chicks that are not related?

Byron Luk

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 12, 2013
I have an adult quail and 2 baby quail. Will the adult quail care for the baby quail if they are not related?

I know that chickens will so quails will probably too, I would sneak them under a quail at night when the mother can't see them but be on the lookout for the mother pecking on the new invaders!

I would be very cautious in doing so, quail are less domesticated and somehow more short tempered than chickens. If you try it make sure you observe from a distance so as soon as you see the quail pecking at the chicks you take them away.

I doubt they would. I would think that the quail would see the chicks as some sort of threat or intruder. A lot of quail have lost their broody instinct, and would probably not regain their motherly instinct unless becoming broody (just my logic and guessing, not sure if correct).
If you're talking about coturnix or button quails, they're pretty much domesticated now and so they don't go broody that often, only in uncommon cases will they ever successfully hatch and care for chicks.

Also, if you have a male, I would be very careful. He would be more likely to kill them.

I think it's better if you just raise them in a brooder and then when they grow up, introduce them to the adult quail (e.g. put them in a cage next to each other so they can see each other) and eventually they may as well allow the new quail to join the covey. Well, it worked for me.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom