Will bird netting keep the hawks from killing?

These pens are totally covered with netting. Since I put the netting up several years ago when the trees were small. I haven't had to replace the main 2" mesh heavy duty piece which is 50' x 200', it's still in good condition. My pens totally are 60' x 200'. I bought some smaller mesh bird netting 8' x 150' and put it across both ends of the pens, the end attached to the coops and some at the far end across the back side of the pens. This year I am replacing the bird netting with some larger mesh hard to handle netting. Previously I had lost a couple of birds to hawks and at night in a couple of my open coops owls. I put tarps up over the open side of those coops. Not a loss since.

Attachments

• IMG_20180503_094047.jpg
    IMG_20180503_094047.jpg
    869.5 KB · Views: 107
These pens are totally covered with netting. Since I put the netting up several years ago when the trees were small. I haven't had to replace the main 2" mesh heavy duty piece which is 50' x 200', it's still in good condition. My pens totally are 60' x 200'. I bought some smaller mesh bird netting 8' x 150' and put it across both ends of the pens, the end attached to the coops and some at the far end across the back side of the pens. This year I am replacing the bird netting with some larger mesh hard to handle netting. Previously I had lost a couple of birds to hawks and at night in a couple of my open coops owls. I put tarps up over the open side of those coops. Not a loss since.

How did you mount the netting under the trees? I need to keep predators out and my girls from flying into the branches -which they love to do and then fly out of the pen.

Originally I went over the trees but as they grew I did trim the trees and put the netting around the bottom of them.
2015-04-12 11.50.57.jpg
IMG_20180503_094047.jpg

I've been battling a hawk this month, so far he has taken out two of my black Cayuga ducks and two Black Austrlorp roosters in the last few weeks. I just ordered some netting, should be here in a week. Just have to keep the hawk away this next week. He killed a duck yesterday, he was so bold he actually went into my coop and killed a duck right in the middle of the 10x10 coop in front of all the other birds. This morning I went out and chased him away. All my birds are too scared to come out of the coop now even though there is a door just bigger than the chickens, that is until I'm around, they all feel safe around me. I tried plastic owls, I have six of them now, didn't work. I actually moved the owls closer to the coop but the chickens and ducks are afraid of them! Hopefully the netting will do the trick.

I've been battling a hawk this month, so far he has taken out two of my black Cayuga ducks and two Black Austrlorp roosters in the last few weeks. I just ordered some netting, should be here in a week. Just have to keep the hawk away this next week. He killed a duck yesterday, he was so bold he actually went into my coop and killed a duck right in the middle of the 10x10 coop in front of all the other birds. This morning I went out and chased him away. All my birds are too scared to come out of the coop now even though there is a door just bigger than the chickens, that is until I'm around, they all feel safe around me. I tried plastic owls, I have six of them now, didn't work. I actually moved the owls closer to the coop but the chickens and ducks are afraid of them! Hopefully the netting will do the trick.
What kind of hawk?

Not sure what kind of hawk but I did get a short video of it, check it out.
I went out this morning and that hawk was about 30 feet from the coop. He likes to kill at first light. I had to chase him a bit to scare him away, he is pretty bold. Right now on the coop I have a small hole that the chickens and ducks can walk through but I'm thinking I need to completely seal it up at night, maybe with some plywood. At least until I go out in the morning and scare away the hawk.
Here's the netting I bought, should be here in less than a week:
https://ebay.us/x2JsbT
I got the 25' x 50', 85 lb break strength per strand netting with 2" holes.
I also bought netting post caps: https://amzn.to/3EMTZ13
And zip ties so I can attach it to my chain link fence: https://amzn.to/32Llj2p
(affiliate links)
And this is just temporary. I want to eventually use lumber and hardware cloth to really secure it, but as you know that's an expensive project. The netting is cheap and quick.

This video will give you an idea of my setup, I started these chicks in the basement, moved them to the garage and finally to the barnyard. I'm only netting in about half of my area for now, maybe I'll do the rest once I get my hawk problem solved.

Last edited:
Goshawk. Based on what I can see, just plug hole to keep your birds in until you get other protections in place. I would leave carcass in place and try for better photographs. The heavier netting will be needed. Dog would be my tool for scaring away a Goshawk since I have dogs that can be kept in with chickens.

Back
Top Bottom