Will broodies prevent other chickens from laying eggs?

I feed them layer pellets. I will feed them some vegetables and fruits that are about to go bad, my kids are really picky about what fruits they eat. We also give them the heels of bread and leftover pasta noodles when they are available.

My chickens are all just a bit over a year old. This is the first time I have experienced broody hens. Two of my orpingtons went broody for a few days, but it is my splash marans that has continued to be broody for a couple weeks now. I feel sorry for her and thought about getting some hatching eggs.

During the winter I was getting a similar yield. It has been cold and windy here (in the SF bay area). The weather has multiple personality disorder! For a few days it was hot like in the 90s then it dropped to the 60s, it has been raining sporadically, and the winds have been really strong and cold. Maybe it is the weather?
How much light do they get a day?

It has been getting dark here in the 8 o'clock hour. The run has a cover, but the light is always on some part of the run.
They should have enough light, then.
Have they had more extra food lately? By extra food, I mean food other than their layer pellets. Are they fat?

They should have enough light, then.
Have they had more extra food lately? By extra food, I mean food other than their layer pellets. Are they fat?

I don't think so. They are hearty chickens, but I don't think they are abnormally large. I have not been feeding them a lot of extras. I have been thinking about adding some oyster shell to their feed, maybe they need more calcium?

I don't think so. They are hearty chickens, but I don't think they are abnormally large. I have not been feeding them a lot of extras. I have been thinking about adding some oyster shell to their feed, maybe they need more calcium?
Yeah, try feeding them oyster shell free choice.
Two more questions:
Are they stressed in any way? Are any of them new to the flock?
Is is possible that a small animal could get in and steal eggs?

Yeah, try feeding them oyster shell free choice.
Two more questions:
Are they stressed in any way? Are any of them new to the flock?
Is is possible that a small animal could get in and steal eggs?

I don't think they are stressed, except for that broody is taking up their preferred box! I have seen them stand outside and cry waiting for that particular box, lol.

There are not really any predators in this area. I live in a pretty urban area and I have 3 dogs that would prevent any random animals from attempting to get into my yard. In addition, I have the entire coop/run fenced with 1/2" hardware mesh, so it would be really unlikely they could get in, especially without me knowing.

I will throw some oyster shell out there now. I have it, I have just been lazy about adding it.

I don't think they are stressed, except for that broody is taking up their preferred box! I have seen them stand outside and cry waiting for that particular box, lol.

There are not really any predators in this area. I live in a pretty urban area and I have 3 dogs that would prevent any random animals from attempting to get into my yard. In addition, I have the entire coop/run fenced with 1/2" hardware mesh, so it would be really unlikely they could get in, especially without me knowing.

I will throw some oyster shell out there now. I have it, I have just been lazy about adding it.
I'm lazy, too, and I forget sometimes.
hide.gif

I hope it works!

Thanks for all the suggestions! I will let you know.

It looks like my one BO is still broody and when I went out there they were both crammed in the same box, lol.

Being broody is contagious and will often cause others to become broody and others to slow on production. Break your broodies ASAP or expect a halt in laying.

Back
Top Bottom