Will chickens eat my flower seedlings?

wintermoon

Chirping
Oct 20, 2023
Hello! This is my first time growing flowers. (Dahlias, zinnias, celosia specifically). I am going to transplant the seedlings when they are a few inches high to the yard and the chickens free range there. Will they get eaten? Should I put up fencing to protect them? Don’t want to spend the money on that if it’s not necessary.

yes you need to protect young plants; young leaves are tender and are liable to be sampled and/or scratched up to get at the bone meal or whatever else you might put in the planting hole to help them get established.

Hello! This is my first time growing flowers. (Dahlias, zinnias, celosia specifically). I am going to transplant the seedlings when they are a few inches high to the yard and the chickens free range there. Will they get eaten? Should I put up fencing to protect them? Don’t want to spend the money on that if it’s not necessary.
Yes, the chickens will likely eat the flowers. Put up a fence, it will be worth it. I started an herb garden and never gave a thought to my chickens. They had the whole thing razed in less than 30 mins

Agree. Seedlings aren’t the only flowers at risk, either. Grown ones aren’t spared. Have flowerbed/flowerpot - will dust bathe:
IMG_7312.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom