Will chickens fly out of my backyard?

sad.png
I'm new to the forum so hope I'm doing this right. I have 3 leghorns. I've been letting them run free ONLY when I'm out in the yard with them for weeks and all was well they loved it. Sunday they figured out they could jump up to the 4 foot fence and then jump into the neighbors yards. The neighbors are ok about it so far and their dogs don't bother the chickens. However I'm handicapped and can't run after them. I had to get on my lawn tractor and with the neighbor boy's help shoo them back to their coop. I don't want to leave them in the coop all the time but can't deal with them jumping out of the yard. Trying to get them back about killed me, so tired. I tethered them once. They don't like it as well and can't dirt bath as well but I'm thinking this is my only solution. I can't afford to build a run, I have only 3 chickens and am living on disability. Any ideas. I'd sure like to let them run again but I don't want to loose them or let them get hurt. Eggcatcher

Even though my chickens could fly over the fence (it's only 3' high), they don't. I'm not sure why they don't try to get out more often, but I think it has to do with the number of cats that come strolling through our yard. Also, I do let them out to roam whenever I'm out in the garden. So they might not feel any urge to get out.

If your looking to keep chickens just for the eggs and you don't want them to roam (free range) then I would go with useing a tractor no wing clipping there and they can't roam and it will be low enough from the top of the fence. I would go with the rabbit hutch kind and just build a run onto it this way you can still have them and it will look nice in the back yard.

:
smile.png
Thanks VE, I let my chickens out just before dark and you were right they didn't go far but I was able to let them roam. Hopefully with time they will get used to being called in and know to come back to the coop but it wasn't too hard to get them back tonight. Eggcatcher

Rte.66_chicks :

Getting them off the roost after they have gone to sleep is the easiest way I have found to clip wings, and even though clipping one throws them off balance, mine have still gone over a four-foot fence. I clip both so they really can't get any lift.

Welcome to the world of backyard chickens-and civil disobedience! This site enables both to a high degree!

I had to do both sides of my hens as well coz they kept escaping after I did one side. I just took them off the roost and did it under the dim porch light so that they didn't wake up very much.
Now they can't get enough "lift" to get higher than about 3ft up.
Our fences are all 5ft high.​

hmm.png
I read that you shouldn't clip both wings because the idea was to make them off balance so they can't fly. I must admit I've never seen them fly, just hop. I did trimmed the flight fethers with little resistance. We used to do it to our chickens when I was a kid. You really think it's a good idea to cut the flight feathers on both sides and they won't fly by just flapping harder? There is no question they can still get lift. I have one of those boards to help them get up to their roost, but they never use it they just jump up to it and it's about 4 foot off the ground of their coop. Just want to clarify that I understand that you think cutting the wings on both sides will keep them from being able to jump as high. Thanks for the advise. If this works I could let them out during the day. I get pretty tired easy and don't like going out in the evening to allow them to roam. I don't have to worry about the preditor thing because I only let them out when I'm out working in the yard keeping my eye on them.

No wing clipping, no flying.
Our birds, 2 RIR and 2 Golden Comets are more interested in what's on the ground than in the air.
They're now 39 weeks old, have been free ranging since Day #3 and haven't left the yard.

lol.png
Well this clip the wings or not seems to be a little contraversial. I was reluctant to clip both sides but took Tala's advise and it worked. I think the breed makes a lot of difference. I have leghorns and they did hop 5 feet or more even with one wing clipped. I have had them a little over a month and they are 1 year old. So I think part of it is learning where their yard ends. However I clipped the second wing and they can't get enough lift to get more than 2-3 feet off the ground. Being my fence is 4 feet this should do the trick. I've let them out for two day in a row and no problems. YEAH! They had a little trouble getting used to the board I made to help them get up to the roost at first but now they are running up and down it. So for me in my situation at least for now it seems the problem is solved. They can roam, I get to watch them roam, they are safe, I don't have to tether them. Thanks for all the ideas from everyone.

Back
Top Bottom