Will guinea's attack chickens?

Thank you so much for your response. I am not sure of the age, just know they are fairly young (6-10 mos.?). I have been putting out laying pellets, as well as intermediate chick starter because of the range of ages in that coop. I also give the guineas cracked corn every day since they seem to like it. I have sprinkled everyone's food with DE also. I didn't know about the greens, but that makes sense. I guess because I've always free ranged everyone in the past, I didn't think about it. I'm not used to keeping everyone confined. I also didn't know about the oyster shell but I will get that too. Thank you again.
Of course they like the cracked born.. its like candy for birds, lol. I'd cut back on it, and just give small amounts as a treat. Too much corn can cause fertility/laying issues and other health problems (too much fat and starch = poor health)... especially while being penned when they are not running all over your property all day long eating their natural prefered (lower fat) diet of seeds, weeds and bugs.

When Guinea Hens lay eggs, the shells are super thick.. they need the oyster shell free choice so they don't have to pull the calcium from their bones/bodies to produce those thick shells.

I really need to get guineas for ticks. I have 4 chickens that are all sweeties and I want to get 2 full grown female guineas. What is the best course of action for me?

2 Guineas won't do diddly for tick control, nor will they be happy with just the 2 of them.

I strongly suggest that you do your homework, learn all about Guineas, and how keep/raise an appropriately sized flock for tick control that can peacefully co-exist with a small flock of chickens.

Last edited:
I had to rehome my guineas too. I bought them as day or two old chicks with about a dozen other baby chickens. They seemed ok as youngsters but by the time they were a year old they got more agressive towards the sister chicks they grew up with. I had a male and female guinea and the male was worse but the female was too agressive towards some smaller hens. My male guinea killed and ate the side of the head of of my small silkie rooster. So they had to go! Now its so peaceful here, and I never realized how much my hens would hide until the guineas were gone. Once they were gone my hens became so much more social it was like night and day. They were so happy, they flapped around and acted like they were kids on a vacation. I wish i had known the stress they were going through before I got rid of the Guineas. I will never ever again get a guinea. not even if you paid me.

Back
Top Bottom