Will Human Urine deter a fox???

SandyC

Songster
12 Years
May 31, 2007
The Flint Hills, Kansas
I am having fox problems. The latest attack was today and then I spotted the pesky creature
watching me from the edge of my woods, likely hoping to come back for more. I have been
free ranging for a long time now, with few problems, but now in the last couple of weeks, I have lost
3 chickens and two turkeys, plus poults. I am working at getting a run up, but it takes a bit of time.
I will keep my birds in my barn for now, but I worry that the monster may still be able to wiggle his way
into the barn. I thought that if I had my sons pee around the barn, it might keep the beast away.

Any comments?
Thanks!

*le sigh*

You just described my whole life. Boys & tinkle, all day, everyday.

Maybe if you were preggers, the urine would work. Hmmmm....lord knows mommies to be could use another way to make $$.

Well if it doesnt at least you wont have to clean the bathroom as often...

Most of these creatures have been around habitation for so long that after awhile they start getting brave and discover its nothing to be alarmed over.

Nope, won't work. I pee outside all the time, and it doesn't keep coons or foxes either one away. Foxes are pretty smart, and will keep coming back earlier and earlier if need be until they get a chicken dinner. You're going to either have to lock your flock down like Fort Knox, or shoot that fox, or trap it. Good luck!

I was told that back in the day farmers would urinate all over their properties to deter coyotes. Our coop is secure but we do have 2 coyotes that travel our property daily, but have never gone close to the coop. The only reason they don't that i can think of is because my husband urinates out their and i told him to keep it up! lol. When you do build your run just be sure to bury your chicken wire a couple of feet down in the ground so the fox can't dig under it. I was also told that coyotes don't like the smell of moth balls. Not sure if it would work for a fox but worth a try. Just get some and put them in some old panty hose and hang from trees around your property! Hope this helps!! Lisa

Nope, urine used to mark your territory doesn't seem to work for me. Neither did human hair scattered about the garden deter varmints. Fence worked, 22LR worked.

maybe if you catch it and actually pee on it....
tongue.png

I had my husband and 3 sons peeing all around the barn and coop for days and it didn't deter the fox at all. I wish something that simple would work.

Doing this may "shy " them off for a day or 2 but when they will realize it is not a threat and they will not even slow down coming in, they are not as much about night and day as they are about human activity, when human activity is at a minimum is when they are most active. I would trap and dispatch them until I got the run finished . once animals find a food source it is going to be hard to keep them from it . your birds ( or someone else's ) is not a snack for them it is them trying to stay alive that is a strong motivator to get at your birds.

Back
Top Bottom