Will I ever get an egg??

Julieschicks

Songster
Jun 17, 2016
Pearland, TX
Gah! We bought 3mo pullets on Feb 18. I don’t know the exact weeks old they were. So far, no eggs. One black australorp, one ameracauna, and one light brahma. A week ago we got 8 more 2mo old pullets and moved them all into a new coop and run. And just yesterday finished installing the nesting boxes. Think maybe they’ve just been too stressed here recently to start laying yet?? I hope it’s soon!
67CFB7FD-50F0-4D11-85CE-45B0FD047C17.jpeg

Your Australorp’s comb is very red, so she’ll probably start laying soon. The ameracauna’s comb looks pink though and I can’t see the Brahma’s comb. If the combs are pink and not red then they aren’t going to be laying yet. Even then it could be awhile. My SLWs had red combs and wattles for a few weeks to a month before I got eggs.

Yeah, the australorp has been red for a few weeks now. I had heard that has something to do with it. But they have got to be hitting the 20wk mark at this point so I’m like where’s the eggs?? :barnie

Adding new birds will stress them out.......might have delayed things.
How did the integration go?
Hopefully you have plenty of space for your 9 birds.

Average onset of lay is 18-26 weeks for most breeds.
But they don't read the 'rules' ;)
They'll lay when they are darn well and ready...and not moment before.
Tho starting a new thread complaining about lack of eggs often is the trigger...so better go check! :D

I think integration has gone pretty well. There’s been some chasing and slight pecking, but nothing crazy and no injuries. Our coop is about 5’x10’ and the run is like 11’x16’. We’ve got 11 total. 3 that are 5mo now and 8 that are just over 2mo. It’s probably been extra stressful the last couple weeks since we’ve still been finishing the building of the coop and run with them already living in it. All major elements are done now so hopefully they’ll calm down more. We put golf balls in the nest boxes to help encourage them. :fl
19272945-5C5F-4EFE-B842-BD3D8F705445.jpeg

Nice setup!
Golf balls won't encourage them to lay....just where to lay. ;)

You might want to add a perch to the front of the nests, about 6-8" away just below the entrances...or put that 2x4 on top of the blocks, if you can attach it securely.
They like to stroll back and forth while choosing a nest to step into.

Back
Top Bottom