Will it change the pond's environment to make the geese & swans leave?

Ilovegeesees

Hatching
Jun 14, 2015
Lynn,Mass
My town installed beacons in our pond to force the beautiful swans, geese, & ducks out. I guess they interfere with their lawns. I live 3 houses up from the pond, & once in a while they will visit, but it's not a nousance. In fact, here's a pic of our last visit-

Here's the swans, who finally let me take their photo after a couple years. Singing, I found out, is their weakness!

My question is, does forcing them out hurt them in any way? How about the pond's environment? People say that they're messy, but since they've enforced the "do not feed" laws, it's so much cleaner! My family has lived here for over 40 years with no complaints, I'm saddened over them leaving.

Last edited:
My town installed beacons in our pond to force the beautiful swans, geese, & ducks out. I guess they interfere with their lawns. I live 3 houses up from the pond, & once in a while they will visit, but it's not a nousance. In fact, here's a pic of our last visit-
Here's the swans, who finally let me take their photo after a couple years. Singing, I found out, is their weakness!

My question is, does forcing them out hurt them in any way? How about the pond's environment? People say that they're messy, but since they've enforced the "do not feed" laws, it's so much cleaner! My family has lived here for over 40 years with no complaints, I'm saddened over them leaving.
What are beacons? very sad when people cannot live with the water fowl who should be allowed to live on the lake after they are water fowl. I am going to give your thread to a member who is trying to save the geese at the park where she lives maybe she can give you some advise. Maybe you and some others who don't mind the swans geese can go to bat for them.

Welcome to BYC..

Can you get others interested in keeping them there? That is what we did and continue to do.....IT SEEMS THE CURRENT MIND SET AMONG SO MANY IS "if it's not sterile or perfect in all ways let's get rid of it." Not sure where that comes from.
Anyway, I would try to get them re-homed to forever humans if that is the only way to go. We have a situation here with ONE PERSON on the parks commission who hates the large geese because she was bitten as a kid---- so now she is trying to remove all the beautiful Embden and Pilgrims at our lake. There are only about 7 left out of 10. But we are fighting an uphill battle....
I hope you can get support from others who love them also, and then you have a chance.
Those swans are beautiful! I did not know they sing.....??
Best of luck to you!
K

Back
Top Bottom