Will my chicks fly over the fence?

PeepsAreForMe

Songster
7 Years
Apr 10, 2012
Pemberton Borough, NJ
I'm a worry wart mom! Here's my coop in the fenced in area. The coop and the fence are both 4' high. Will my chickens go up on the roof and jump out of the fenced in area?? The fenced in area is 16' x 16' and after my DH puts the gate on, he will build an extended protected run off the right side. I also wanted to raise it up atleast 6" but DH said that will make it even easier for them to fly over the fence. I plan on clipping their wings. Any suggestions??

no, well not when they are chicks. But when older or an adults they will. Some advice is get bigger fence or put chicken wire over it. but all so a animal could get it or even a hawk could swoop down and get it. ( good that you put wire at the bottom but needs more. ( i am an export )
jumpy.gif
D.gif

I don't plan on letting them free range unless we are in the yard. We do have a hawk and an owl that lives in our neighborhood. Don't think I have to worry about the owl though. And DH is dear or devoted husband. Not **** husband!! LOL The chicken wire is to keep them from sneaking in between the slats. But if they will jump on the roof and then over the fence that was useless!! They are only 5 weeks now and not yet fully feathered, so they will be inside for a few more weeks.

I have seven week olds right now that could fly over that fence without needing to use the roof. They easily fly up to the roosting bar which is four feet off the ground.

I think from what I'm reading lately that chicken wire won't really work to keep them safe- that it's better to use hardware cloth, but maybe someone else can chime in on this?

I agree , chicks mostly likely cant and won't get out, but adults will have no problem clearing it with motivation. I've had chickens fly over my 7' fence before, but you could clip the wings to prevent much flight, this makes it harder form them to get away from predators though. Just something to think about.

Back
Top Bottom