Will my ducks stay if?

thechickman04

Songster
11 Years
Feb 22, 2008
Cumming, Georgia
ok this spring i am buying some adult ducks.....i have about a two acre pond down in my pasture and thats where im gonna put my ducks.....will they stay at the pond or will they fly away?

Some kinds of ducks can fly, while others can't really get off the ground much.....so it just depends on what kind you get and if you keep them penned long enough to consider your place their home.

Quote:
My 5 ducks were raised by me from ducklings. They are Pekin, Rouen, and runners. When they found my pond I couldn't get them off of it till it froze this winter. They slept out there and pretty much spent their entire day on it. I'd leave food for them on the bank and now and then they'd waddle up and eat, but mainly ate the duck weed (my pond looks so much better now that they're eating the duck weed!!!!) and whatever else they found in the water.

I have seen mine try to fly, they might manage a few feet off the ground for a few seconds, but that is all. I have heard that mallards will fly, and if you get them as adults I suppose they might fly away, not being used to the area. But I have no experience with those.

I intend to stick with runners from now on (they eat way less than Pekins in winter) and I'm going to try Muscovies. I've read that it's easier for those females to fly than the heavier males, but they like bugs and I've got plenty of bugs around here and as I'm raising them, hopefully, they'll stick around.

Your pond is bigger than mine, I suppose it's possible if mine saw yours they'd leave, but they'd have to waddle all the way there.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom