Will my feather babies hatch?? It's already day 22 of incubation.

WVChickNboots

In the Brooder
Mar 3, 2015
My Coop
My Coop
I am on day 22 of incubation. There's no peeping, no pipping, nothing yet. I have the Little Giant Still Air 9300 incubator with an automatic egg turner (which was removed day 18 for lockdown). I have consistently kept my temps (just above the eggs) at 99.5. My humidity is running around 75% now for lockdown, was between 45-55 prior to lockdown. I haven't opened the lid since day 18. I only had 9 full term live chicks during my last candling....9 out of 41. It's my first incubating project, and I'm not sure what has went wrong. I've hovered over the incubator, keeping an eye on things. What is the latest day they may hatch? Again, today is day 22.

I am on day 22 of incubation. There's no peeping, no pipping, nothing yet. I have the Little Giant Still Air 9300 incubator with an automatic egg turner (which was removed day 18 for lockdown). I have consistently kept my temps (just above the eggs) at 99.5. My humidity is running around 75% now for lockdown, was between 45-55 prior to lockdown. I haven't opened the lid since day 18. I only had 9 full term live chicks during my last candling....9 out of 41. It's my first incubating project, and I'm not sure what has went wrong. I've hovered over the incubator, keeping an eye on things. What is the latest day they may hatch? Again, today is day 22.
Still air incubators should be ran at 101-102F (near top of eggs.) (I know the manuals all state the 99.5F that is or should only be recommended for forced air.) So, your temps have been at a slightly lower average than it should have been which definitely can cause a delayed hatch. It's hard to say when. I'd leave them until day 24. How are you counting your days? Are you counting the day you set them as day one or are you waiting the 24 to start counting? That will make a difference to what day you are on as well.

I didn't count day one. Two eggs are now rocking. :D So then, my temps have been too low this entire incubation? I'm going to start a new incubation right after this one, so I will be sure to increase the temp just over the eggs to 101-102. Thanks for the helpful info.

I didn't count day one. Two eggs are now rocking.
big_smile.png
So then, my temps have been too low this entire incubation? I'm going to start a new incubation right after this one, so I will be sure to increase the temp just over the eggs to 101-102. Thanks for the helpful info.
You might also consider dry incubation and monitoring air cells for growth for proper humidity levels. Personally I prefer the 30-40% range for the first 17 days. A lot of hatchers using the styro bators (including myself) have found dry incubation more successful than standard.

Amylynn, I'm starting a new incubation tomorrow some time. You suggested dry incubation. Do you have any advice or more info, maybe a link to check out? I only had two babies hatch out of 41 in my still air incubator my first try. I did just install a fan kit tonight, which will convert the incubator into a forced air unit. I really want to be successful this time around. Thanks in advance for any help.

Amylynn, I'm starting a new incubation tomorrow some time. You suggested dry incubation. Do you have any advice or more info, maybe a link to check out? I only had two babies hatch out of 41 in my still air incubator my first try. I did just install a fan kit tonight, which will convert the incubator into a forced air unit. I really want to be successful this time around. Thanks in advance for any help.

I am on the end of day 21, one fully hatched last night, my first silver spangled hamberg! and one mutt pipped... that's it. three thermometers two hydrometers and much less hair on my head! Let your eggs sit and your bator run for a couple days. See how the fan works, look for hot or cold spots by rotating a well trusted thermometer. Still air and forced air run different temps so look for 99.5 again. I have a borrowed forced air hove-bator and im noticing major hot and cold spots! Fans a little old and sounds rough though, waiting for delivery of my new hova-bator genesis. Good luck!! You can always google or search threads on dry incubation there is a lot of info out there on it! I think that's my next choice!

Here's my own personal rant on humidity and "dry incubation". Understanding humidity control and how to tell if your humidity is working. This is my method: http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity So far I'm having success with it. So sorry to hear about the first hatch. I know exactly how that feels. Besides dry incubation, I recommend using two thermometers in the bator that have been checked, or one of those guarenteed accurate to .2 or .5 degrees. (One day I will buy one..lol). I hope you have a much better hatch this time.

Here's my own personal rant on humidity and "dry incubation". Understanding humidity control and how to tell if your humidity is working. This is my method: http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity So far I'm having success with it. So sorry to hear about the first hatch. I know exactly how that feels. Besides dry incubation, I recommend using two thermometers in the bator that have been checked, or one of those guarenteed accurate to .2 or .5 degrees. (One day I will buy one..lol). I hope you have a much better hatch this time.

brinsea thermometer, good price! Many people swear by it! My eggs are waiting for the post man to deliver the thermometer LOL
http://www.brinsea.com/p-394-spot-check-digital-incubator-thermometer.aspx

I am on the end of day 21, one fully hatched last night, my first silver spangled hamberg! and one mutt pipped... that's it. three thermometers two hydrometers and much less hair on my head! Let your eggs sit and your bator run for a couple days. See how the fan works, look for hot or cold spots by rotating a well trusted thermometer. Still air and forced air run different temps so look for 99.5 again. I have a borrowed forced air hove-bator and im noticing major hot and cold spots! Fans a little old and sounds rough though, waiting for delivery of my new hova-bator genesis. Good luck!! You can always google or search threads on dry incubation there is a lot of info out there on it! I think that's my next choice!
My LG is fan forced and I have a lot of hot/cool spots. It's an older model with the heating element that goes around the top. Directly under the element is 1-2 degrees warmer than the center of the bator and the corners are warmer. Whoever said that forced air bators do not have hot/cold spots are clueless. It's a good reason to rotate your eggs during incubation, no matter what type you have. I have 36 in there now. I think close to half of them are silver spangled appenzeller spitzhaubens. A couple black Japanese Bantams a couple brown leghorns some mutts and about three eggs from the silky pen. I'm really hoping that it goes well.I want to see those spitzs...lol I'm at day 14 so 1 more week.

Back
Top Bottom