Will rooster harm chicks?

sand man

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 12, 2012
Some time this late spring or early summer I was planning on having my hen sit on some pheasant eggs and raise them. I was also planning on buying a rooster to hopefully give my flock some protection while free roaming out of their enclosure. I was wandering if anyone had an opinion on when I should introduce the rooster to the flock as i'm a little worried about if it would kill chicks if he was new to the flock.

In my opinion, you dont need a rooster to defend the flock. I also dont think it would be right to have a hen raise pheasants, they wouldnt be able to communicate. The chicks may wander off and not be able to come back because they dont understand eachother.
hu.gif

It depends on the rooster. Some roosters will practically be a mother hen, and some roosters will see them as a threat, or a the very least an annoyance, and kill them.

I'm not sure why a chicken and pheasant wouldn't get along when chickens have raised ducks just fine??? No experience but I wouldn't presume that pheasant chicks cannot imprint on a hen.

As for the rooster... Their behavior is too variable to take a guess. I'd suggest controlled and gradual introduction with supervision. Keeping them separate but in view will give you an idea of whether he's flaring hackles and charging or dropping food and calling. Also, be aware that people often want to unload aggressive roosters. Good roosters are valued and kept if at all possible. So, it might be difficult to find a grown rooster with good manners. Lots of cockerels out there, though, and some will grow up to be good roosters.

I'm not sure why a chicken and pheasant wouldn't get along when chickens have raised ducks just fine??? No experience but I wouldn't presume that pheasant chicks cannot imprint on a hen.

As for the rooster... Their behavior is too variable to take a guess. I'd suggest controlled and gradual introduction with supervision. Keeping them separate but in view will give you an idea of whether he's flaring hackles and charging or dropping food and calling. Also, be aware that people often want to unload aggressive roosters. Good roosters are valued and kept if at all possible. So, it might be difficult to find a grown rooster with good manners. Lots of cockerels out there, though, and some will grow up to be good roosters.
I have never actually tested that theory, but some people i have talked ot on here said it didnt work for them.
idunno.gif

I am having a terrible time integrating my juvenile flock in with my current laying flock. The roosters seem to protect them, but then hens attack them. They have currently killed two of the 'newbies'- and I seem to believe they were pullets.

Some time this late spring or early summer I was planning on having my hen sit on some pheasant eggs and raise them. I was also planning on buying a rooster to hopefully give my flock some protection while free roaming out of their enclosure. I was wandering if anyone had an opinion on when I should introduce the rooster to the flock as i'm a little worried about if it would kill chicks if he was new to the flock.

I would say go for it on the hen sitting on Pheasant eggs, those babies will know the hens voice before they hatch it does not matter if they speak the same or not they know her sound. I have in years past had hens sit on Goose eggs, Duck eggs Guinea Fowl eggs etc.
Great mommas and the chicks love her no matter what species difference they are. They all know her voice and her scolding etc. No problem! As far as the Rooster they are all different and I personally would not let him around the baby chicks. You got to know your own Roosters, and then make a decision on that.

Your best option would be to find a rooster that was raised by a mother hen, in a flock where broody hens hatching eggs is common.

Most people buy their chicks today as day old chicks, and the chickens never get to live in an environment with anyone bigger or smaller than they are. So of course there is a problem when you try to add a new bird to your flock. But if the birds have been socialized to understand that baby chicks are normal and part of the chicken community, then you shouldn't have any problem.

Of course then you have to remove all waterers and put in chick waterers for everyone. Then make sure that all the feed available is okay for a baby chick (not layer pellet.)

Btw- roosters do provide protection for the flock. I have hawks, so the roosters are a necessary. One word from them and everyone takes cover until the threat has passed.

This all depends on the rooster! I had a silkie rooster that let my babies crawl under him for warmth he always let them eat and watched over them. On the other hand had another silkie rooster who would peck the babies any time they got near and wouldn't let them eat. He eventually started spuring them! He was out of here but i don't think its a good idea generally.in case you get a rooster that wants to spur them! I was lucky with my first rooster he was very loving but i still i think that was a fluke.

I am having a terrible time integrating my juvenile flock in with my current laying flock. The roosters seem to protect them, but then hens attack them. They have currently killed two of the 'newbies'- and I seem to believe they were pullets. 

You should really start your own thread. But, the same gradual introduction process works for hens too. I read lots of folks recommending sneaking new additions in at night and I believed it would work for my peaceful little flock. I will never try that again. Nobody is fooled -- they'll ID the intruders the moment the sun comes up and either have an acceptable amount of pecking to let them know their place or they'll outright attack. This is certainly not behavior exclusive to roosters. Slowing the process so it is less upsetting as an invasion of their territory does help but the experience won't be entirely peaceful no matter what. This is why it's helpful if the juvies are able to run and hide. Introducing them outside of the coop (neutral territory) several times so they can establish pecking order without any cornering helps. Giving lots of hiding places and multiple food and water stations helps.

SO, I've built a grow-out pen next to the coop so the adults will see the chicks without being able to reach them until they are ready to start ranging together. They won't move into the coop until they're accepted into the flock. I'll still have multiple food & water stations, hiding spots, plus I'm adding more roosts so nobody sleeps in nest boxes. Fingers crossed that it will go much more smoothly this time.

Back
Top Bottom