Will Round up hurt the chickens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ellie

Songster
12 Years
Aug 10, 2007
Redding, Ca.
I put a fence up and have to use round up at my place around any fence line.

Round up does not hurt animals, but what about chickens?

Ellie

I was wondering the same thing as we need to Round Up after all this rain.
hmm.png

I know is says 30 minutes it is animal safe. I think I would wait until it is dry completely just to be safe especially since my family eats the eggs.

Why use a herbacide to kill plants? It may say it's safe for animals
but why use a chemical when there are better ways?

Options:
Let your chickens eat the plants.
Wead Whacker
Propane torch - Home Depot and Lowes sells a long propane torch you
screw a small canister in to. I have one and love it. It kill weads in walls,
sidewalks, or anywhere you need it in a confined space.

I'm no tree hugger but it boggles my mind why so many people use chemicals
to do things a little elbow grease will do fine. Agent Orange was harmless too,
once upon a time.

Please don't take this as an attack. It's not meant to be.

weed killer???

There ain't much that would survive a dowsing in that concoction!

LoL

Thats one thing i love about living in a partially developed territory. Puerto Rico is still a very utilitarian place. It doesnt have to be pretty, just functional. only time i concern myself with weeds is when they genuinely bother me, or threaten my plants.

Either way, after a good rain, the ground is tender and i can yank weeds by hand.

Last edited:
Regardless of whether RU hurts chickens, if you're eating their eggs, it's gonna hurt you. Herbicides are seriously implicated in breast cancer (from personal experience) and if you're spraying them on your property, some will drift onto SOME plant the chickens eat, and those types of chemicals do not break down and go away easily, they remain in animals bodies, fat, livers: do your really want to be eating a poison?

No offense to anyone who uses toxic chemicals is meant, I just for the LIFE of me cannot imagine why anyone would jeopardize the health of themselves, their family and neighbors (kids especially) for the sake of a neat lawn. But like I said, I almost died so I feel very strongly about this!

Stacey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom