Will the mottling show?

So @Amer are spangling and mottling the same thing? I'd imagine from your description very dark/muddy Speckled Sussex that look spangled. I don't know what that's the word I want to use to describe them though.

well I guessed before the pic of the roo came through, before then I thought i WAS being helpful and now i'm just invested in the outcome
I get that you were just trying to be nice and help, which is great, but in the future, you should possibly ask about it or say “I think it should ... X but I don’t really know for sure” or something like that so people know to take it with a grain of salt

I get that you were just trying to be nice and help, which is great, but in the future, you should possibly ask about it or say “I think it should ... X but I don’t really know for sure” or something like that so people know to take it with a grain of salt
Thank you for actually being kind and not passive aggressive ❤

Ha! That sounds really interesting,like a black sex link that is bedecked in speckles..Love it.:cool::love
Exactly! A much better picture of what I was trying to express!
So @Amer are spangling and mottling the same thing? I'd imagine from your description very dark/muddy Speckled Sussex that look spangled. I don't know what that's the word I want to use to describe them though.
Mottling is a genotype. Spangling is a phenotype. Pretty annoying. It pretty much means anything with a pattern with colored tips to the feathers. So a mottle is a spangle, and so is the spangle of an Orloff. Or a Hamburg. Just a word for how it looks.

Last edited:
I know you are speaking to Amer but I would like to share my own opinion if that’s alright with you? I have found that Spangles seem to always be black spots and Mottles are white spots on chickens.My other rooster has spangles under his hackles,you can only see them when he molts.
0A129847-88AC-459C-AC92-F7C51F48BDEA.jpeg

So @Amer are spangling and mottling the same thing?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
"Spangled Cornish" and "Spangled Russian Orloff" and "Spangled Old English Game Bantam" are mottling. They've got white and black bits on the tips of the feathers, and the rest of the feather is some other color or pattern.

"Spangled Hamburg" and "Spangled Spitzhauben" do not have the mottling gene, but do have a different combination of genes that make black tips on silver or gold feather. I know the pattern gene (Pg) is involved, along with a few others. And Chamois Spitzhauben has a white tip on a gold feather (Dominant White turning the black to white).

Of course Dominant White can remove the black bits from a bird with mottling, too--like the "Golden Neck" color of d'Uccles and Old English Game Bantams.

Last edited:
Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
"Spangled Cornish" and "Spangled Russian Orloff" and Spangled Old English Game Bantam" are mottling. They've got white and black bits on the tips of the feathers, and the rest of the feather is some other color or pattern.

"Spangled Hamburg" and "Spangled Spitzhauben" do not have the mottling gene, but do have a different combination of genes that make black tips on silver or gold feather. I know the pattern gene (Pg) is involved, along with a few others. And Chamois Spitzhauben has a white tip on a gold feather (Dominant White turning the black to white).

Of course Dominant White can remove the black bits from a bird with mottling, too--like the "Golden Neck" color of d'Uccles and Old English Game Bantams.

Interesting... This raises an interesting question about my 2nd rooster who has minimal black spangles.I wonder what happens genetically when a black spangled bird is mixed with a white mottled bird?? :pop

Interesting... This raises an interesting question about my 2nd rooster who has minimal black spangles.I wonder what happens genetically when a black spangled bird is mixed with a white mottled bird?? :pop

Well, I was reading a while ago about Red Shouldered White Yokohamas. Someone was test-mating them to try to work out the genetics, and found both spangling in white (the multi-gene kind) AND mottling. It appears that whoever developed them just selected for dots, no matter what genetic cause those dots had :D

For your cross idea, I'm guessing the mottling won't show up in the first generation, but might in later generations, depending on what you cross them to.

Back
Top Bottom