Will the "No Crow Rooster Collar" work on quail?

That is exactly what I want to know! I have 3 young boys who are getting on fine together so don't want to re-home them, however they are competing with each other for 'best crow'!

I have taken to locking them in at night as don't want complaints from the neighbours.

Any other ideas to stop them being so vocal gratefully received :)
D.gif

I have first hand experience with those collars: they don't even work on chickens. Had to cull both of my roosters last year.

Coturnix crowing is really not that bad even at night, unless you have really picky neighbors. Keep them completely in the dark at night and they won't crow. Usually.

Thanks for that. We're getting into the routine of going to bed. The first night there was a crow, but I've since learned that they don't like being separated from their group so I now put the girls in too & all good so far
yippiechickie.gif

I've had to use no crow collars on chicken roosters. The city I live doesn't allow roosters. The collars do work but they have to be on VERY snug. The first one I tried didn't work because it wasn't on tight enough and a friend showed me how to put them on. Wrap it around the rooster's neck on the top half of the neck. You should not be able to get the tip of a finger under it. The rooster will accept it better if put on at night. It might seem cruel to some people but the alternative to the rooster is usually death. The collars I've used have been two inch wide velcro. Velcro is cheap, infinitely adjustable and it works. Once they get used to the collar they go about their usual business and go through the motions of crowing but the sound is GREATLY reduced and no longer resembles the crow that people associate with roosters. I've re-homed or processed all the chicken roosters I had so for now don't need them.

Now as far as quail if you have coturnix roosters and you have them set up with the proper ratio of hens (4-7 hens per roo) he will rarely ever crow. I have 8 quail roos right now and I might hear 2-4 crows all day. They don't crow near as much as a chicken if they have their hens and are content whereas a chicken rooster will crow all day no matter how many hens he has. If you have extra quail roos that you have as back ups you will have some crowing. Hopefully not enough to make the neighbors complain. If so maybe a collar would work? It would have to be quail sized, but you would have to experiment and see what works for you.

Back
Top Bottom