Will the older Hens let the up and coming layers into the nesting boxes?

WCflockers

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 7, 2013
Illinois
My 12 barred rocks have been laying since August. We had 4 nesting boxes for them.
Now, a few of my younger mixed flock, are looking like they are ready to lay and showing interest in the boxes.
We added 2 more boxes for now. (so total of 6 )
My concern is that any time that the younger flock takes an interest or gets near the nesting boxes, the older barred rock hens, screech at them, peck at them or chase them out of the coop/area.
When the time comes to lay, will the older hens let the younger ones in to the nesting boxes????????
They have been sharing the same coop/food/area for months, so it's not like they are newly put together.
Anyone experience this?
Thank you!

No, I haven't experienced that.

I have read some posts that the older hens start treating the newer ones differently when the new ones get to point of lay....so things might still change.

You could always put a nest box in a completely different spot for the young girls, and see if that works. Even a nest box in a corner of the run (as log as it stays dry) might work for now.

Exactly what I would suggest. If you can temporarily place the nesting boxes in a different area away from the older hens, until they accept the younger ones, that will work best for you.

Back
Top Bottom