Will this detour preditors?

Do you think that preditors go home to get out of the rain? They work about as well as a motion light...The first few times are great, after a few times they get used to it. A light at least lets you see to shoot.

I think this is a bit more than a feeling of rain, its more of a spray with the water hose and suddenly....I would think this would scare them. Im not having any issues with a frequent preditor, just more of a "just in case" type thing. honestly if nothing works you might as well say a prayer and let em range 24-7 I think im preditor proof at this point but this would be more of an extra defense.

A few strands of electric fence WILL work on anything short of a bear in a hurry, as long as your birds are behind it. While a bear often runs thru a live fence, if he approaches slowly and touches the live strand they seldom return. Raccoons, skunks, fox, etc get one shock and leave...ditto with dogs.

Take out the spotlight bulb from your motion detector lights. Replace the bulb with one of those receptacles that screw into alight socket. Plug your extension cord into this receptacle that is now screwed in your motion detector.

When the sensor detects motion outside it will now send electricity to a radio you have plugged into the other end of the extension cord inside the house. When you hear the music inside, grab the gun and start some music outside. Dead coons kill no chickens!

The ONLY motion lights I've tried that are any good are those Heath-Zennith motion detecting lights you get at Home Depot. We only used them so far for replacing the outdoor lights on the house. I got the 280 degree sensing for each flat surface. You can get 360 degree too. But anyway, that thing'll snap on as soon as you walk around the side of the house. My husband has installed a few for friends and family and every other brand was total junk!

So we have four of those installed on the side and back. Basically, they're flood lights and very bright. Great motion sensing. There is one that is in a fairly shady area off the back porch that occasionally does not work. The customer support was very good and they sent me a little attachment with some instructions on how to deal with it. The thing is on real overcast days in winter, it doesn't get enough ambient light to reset itself sometimes. I may have to put some dark duct tape over the attachment for over night so it gets a reset from day to night change of light. Anyway, a couple days of the year it's a little flakey but it mostly fixes itself. Other than that, all work almost too well.

Now I've had these things a good 5-6 years now at least. They are halogen and I think I've replaced maybe one of the halogen lamps one time in all that time. The one that gets used the most.

I did use some lower light decorative motion sensing lights up front. They are okay but they are just for walking up to the front door. They are not the Heath Zennith. As far as floods though, Heath-Zennith, don't get anything else!

GeauxLSU....I'm getting one! That is really cool.
Great! I'll be interested to hear how it works out. Video from a motion activated trail cam would be awesome!
lol.png

Ive changed my mind on this because of winter and freezing hoses,sprinklers etc. I'm sure it will be good during the Spring, Summer and Fall but if I need to add something for Winter then I need to use that. great idea though. I may just run a hot wire around the coop.

Dev

Back
Top Bottom