Will this little duckling be confused?

galvinkr22

Hatching
10 Years
Sep 7, 2009
Looks like my Peking duck slipped an egg in my hen's nest.

The little duckling hatched the other day.

Anyone else ever have this happen?

kg

Last edited:
Years ago I had 2 little red hens that laid eggs in a "community" nest. About 18 chicks were hatched out plus 1 mallard duckling. Everything was fine for about a week. The hens shared babies and accepted the duck as their own, until the day the one that had the duck that day wandered down by the pond.....zoooooooommm went little ducky straight into the water and began happily swimming around while mama stormed and stomped back and forth along the back screaming and swearing at him to get out of that water! Don't you know chickens don't swim she screamed?
rant.gif
Ducky continued on merrily paddling about completely ignoring the poor little red hen.
hu.gif
She finally gave up after flinging a few choice epithats at him. Afterwards he would join back with the flock at his pleasure.

We had a duck go broody and day 27 decided to leave the nest with only one egg left we gave it to a silkie hen.Well "chickduck"(thats her name) is 9 yrs old now and still thinks shes a chicken.She only lets roosters mate with her never a male duck.She roosts and hangs only with the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom