Wilma the Loudmouthed Freeloader

crazy hen quartet

Songster
11 Years
Dec 20, 2008
Chandler AZ
Well, after three and a half long months of waiting while her peers laid, the brat finally did it. Its the one on the left, next to a large egg from our BR. She is a 36 week old Australourp.

20002_dsc_6798_medium.jpg

I guess all it took was my posting here that she was in her final days because I can't have a hen that is loud, mean AND doesn't lay eggs... not even two hours later and she climbed in the nesting box and deposited her dues. It's about time. Now if she would just mellow out and stop terrorizing my precious EEs.

I have heard that if you have a really bossy hen, and you seperate her for a few days, and then re introduce her during the day, she will have to resetablish her flock placing, and rarely is able to work her way back up! I have never had to test this philosophy, but perhaps it will work for you?

Good Luck, and congrats! Maybe now she will kick into overdrive, and you will get a bunch of double yolkers?!

She was actually the last to come into the flock, she and our large EE. Our BR picked on her quite a bit, and I felt bad for her so I zip-tied the BR legs together so she could walk, lay, roost etc but not run.. so she couldn't go after Wilma. Well, after I took the zip ties off, everything was fine.

Gradually the Aus has gotten really mean with the smallest of the EEs, but is not at the top of the pecking order. Is this weird? maybe she is taking out her angst after being picked on by the BR (who has left her alone since we "shackled" her)?

I might try the separation thing, I just don't really have anywhere to put her.

The funny thing is she is not independent at all, if the other girls go out for free range (she's kinda dumb and has trouble finding the door) she paces and yells and is very frantic about getting back with the group, I have to chase her out of the pen. And she will actually fly to get back to them. I have seen her fly 5' up for over 30' to get to them.

anyway she leaves the other two hens alone, they won't take her crap.

I have a rabbit cage I could use, it is like 18" tall by 2' wide by 3' long.. do you think this would be big enough to use to separate her? I guess battery cages are worse than that, but I just feel so bad and I don't have anything else to put her in.
what do you all think? Will this work and how long should I separate her from the others?

A cage like that will work fine, you only need to seoperate her for a day or two, try to do it when you know you are going to be gone, or youwill cave in to her pitiful pleas! ( I know, cause I always do!) remember to reintroduce her during the day, when everyone is awake, and she will be the stranger. Supervise the reunion for a while to make sure she doesnt get beat on too much. Remember, this is supposed to be a humbling experience, so she is not going to like it much, and is going to stress. May diminish your new egg production....

Good Luck

So she should be out of sight of the rest of the girls? Just checking. If so I will have to put her on my side yard by my neighbors... boy are they gonna love that! Good thing they like me and don't mind the chickens, lol..

Yup, outta sight out of mind, and if possible, outta hearing range? cause she is gonna squawk and call, and be a general pest, until she realizes they arent coming.... about the time she starts getting used to the new situation, is when you send her back!

Keeps her and the flock guessing!

Wow, it might have to be the garage then, cause she is LOUD! If I have her outdoors at all they will definitely hear her.

I tried to catch her today but she is quick like lightning! So I am planning to go snatch her off the perch tonight.

Thanks for the advice all....

Oh, and she laid egg #2 today. Actually, I got an egg from every girl today! Yay!

wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom