Wilson

nanama

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 29, 2012
I'm in Wilson, NC. Could any of you NC'ers (Raleigh and east) advise where to get my first chicks?

Last edited:
HI!! We're picking up our first 4 chickens tomorrow from Sumner-Byrd Poultry http://www.sumner-byrdfarm.com/

Nice little setup, and the owner was a TON of help! They have the cute fluffy chicks, but we're getting birds that were hatched in January. The prices seem very reasonable, and if you're getting the chicks and you happen to get a rooster they will take him back. LOTS of different kinds of birds.

Edited to Add - according to Google Maps, they're about an hour from you in Holly Springs.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Thank you so much. I will check out this site. My soon to be 19 year old wants at least one baby chick . . . I just want 2-3 or 4 that are friendly and will lay me some eggs!

Have you been to this place before? Will these be your first chickens?

Have you been to this place before? Will these be your first chickens?

Yep, we went out before Christmas - no appointment, just showed up on a rainy Saturday morning. Their website encourages that, which I appreciate. I used to work in childcare, and I am a firm believer in popping in without an appointment to see how things look when they aren't expecting anyone. These are our first chickens, so part of our reason for going out there when we knew it would be months before we were ready to buy any was to see if I was still afraid of the little feather heads. (I had a bad experience as a child: small child + pie pan of chicken scraps + flock of 20 hungry chickens = childhood trauma LOL)

They had chickens, ducks, turkeys, quail, a HUGE rooster (OK, he looked huge to me!
ep.gif
) , and probably a lot of other things I can't remember now. They've got a lot of different coop setups, which was nice because it gave us a lot of ideas about what we did and didn't like about each one. The owner had a lot of information about chickens in general, and answered all of our questions about keeping chickens. We got a look at the babies which are cute, but after talking to him about what it takes to get a chick from baby to laying hen we decided we were definitely going for the older ones.

I know I'm late, but I would recommend littlebirdiehatchery.com over sumner-byrd. They are in Wake Forest, but their setup is much better for the chicks and they have lots of knowledge to share. I've gotten birds from both places (as well as craigslist people and the hardware store) and I have no affiliation with either. I am just not at all impressed with the way the chicks at sumner-byrd are brooded. I hope whatever chicks you got are doing great! I figured I'd share my thoughts in case you ever decide to get more or in case someone else is reading this and would like advice....

I second pullus mater's advice. I too would recommend Little Birdie Hatchery over Sumner. We were going to buy our first chicks from Sumner-Byrd but there was a snaffu and we were treated very rudely by them. I can't speak to the methods there but we ended up going to LBH in Wake Forest and were so impressed by them. Ben was so helpful and knowledgeable and they make it a point to get their feed and bedding from local companies. Their website is www.littlebirdiehatchery.com. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom