wimpy rooster

Chook Lover your profile pic rocks...
tongue2.gif

and i agree with above... A rooster still has a mind and personality that he will stay loyal too... if he doesnt want to interfere he probably wont

The original poster stated that the attacks were between 10:00AM and 5:00PM. My guess would be a hawk. Some roosters will confront predators and some will not. Unfortunately the one's that do often end up being dinner. I have a big hawk problem in my area and have lost several birds in the past. This year I got two roosters to watch over my 28 hens and haven't lost one yet. My wife and I have witnessed the roosters valiantly defending the hens from hawks and they have thus far been successful. Amazingly, they work together and both go after the hawk....quite a sight to see.
Thanks for saying that the roosters work together. I recently hatched a strapping young roo to help protect the flock, my flock roo is his sire. I wondered if they would work together and bring more protection to the 29 girls, or would fight so much that they would stop paying attention to their surroundings. I'm happy to hear that they should work together. The little roo is 3 months old and starting to crow. The flock rooster and him seem to get along fine.

O.P. Sorry for your loss...
sad.png

Last edited:
Getting yourself killed every time a predator shows up isn't a particularly viable reproductive strategy - good roosters will pick fights they can win - or fights where they can throw a predator off a bit and still get away.

@minnehaha , in my opinion, you'll have best results if the young rooster is raised by the older rooster - introducing a juvenile or adult rooster to a flock that already has one is tough (although it does sometimes work). Young roosters don't tend to challenge their fathers though - until the father gets old enough that he should probably be replaced anyways.

This is very much YMMV though - it's going to depend on the personality of the birds involved. Some roosters regularly kill challengers - some don't seem to have much of a problem unless the challenger is trying to mate hens.

Getting yourself killed every time a predator shows up isn't a particularly viable reproductive strategy - good roosters will pick fights they can win - or fights where they can throw a predator off a bit and still get away.

@minnehaha , in my opinion, you'll have best results if the young rooster is raised by the older rooster - introducing a juvenile or adult rooster to a flock that already has one is tough (although it does sometimes work). Young roosters don't tend to challenge their fathers though - until the father gets old enough that he should probably be replaced anyways.

This is very much YMMV though - it's going to depend on the personality of the birds involved. Some roosters regularly kill challengers - some don't seem to have much of a problem unless the challenger is trying to mate hens.
That is great to know, because the little roo's father is my flock rooster, he has known him since he was hatched by a broody and has been with the flock since day one. I notice he disciplines him, but it's not violent, and the little roo is immitating his dad. i hope he is as good as him. I notice they stand guard together, each facing a different direction, this is a good sign.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom