Wing bands

frizzlelove83

Chirping
Mar 19, 2015
Hi yall
this winter/ spring I will be increasing the number of chicks I produce and I have decided to update my identification system to wing banding. What are the best kinds of wing bands? I would prefer ones that don't need an applicator.
thanks

Not sure about wing bands, and how secure are they, but have you considered colored zip ties??? Other option are Pigeon leg bands. The removable type. They come in 8 mm size common. The are numbered and also available in different colors. Very reasonable on Ebay.
WISHING YOU BEST..... :thumbsup

If you are busy with work and family as well as your flock a Zip tie around one foot is a very good way to end up with a bunch of peglegged chickens. Your chicks will outgrow their makeshift leg bands and the Zip Tie bands will cutoff blood circulation to the toes. literally causing the 4 toes on that foot to fall off. Jiffy Wing bands on the other hand are permanent and they can be applied to day old chicks.
After banding 1,000s of chicks the only downside I see is that you must get your hands on the chicken to read the wing band numbers, although colored and numbered Jiffy Wing bands are out there..

If you are busy with work and family as well as your flock a Zip tie around one foot is a very good way to end up with a bunch of peglegged chickens. Your chicks will outgrow their makeshift leg bands and the Zip Tie bands will cutoff blood circulation to the toes. literally causing the 4 toes on that foot to fall off. Jiffy Wing bands on the other hand are permanent and they can be applied to day old chicks.
After banding 1,000s of chicks the only downside I see is that you must get your hands on the chicken to read the wing band numbers, although colored and numbered Jiffy Wing bands are out there..
Not to argue with you over details, but I assume peeps will use common sense. Zip ties put on loose will do no harm. The removable pigeon snap on bands will pop off if they get tight. I do know peeps that used both. No peg legged chickens in their flocks.

Back
Top Bottom