Wing Clipping and Training with a Budgie

Millet sprays, pasta, lettuce, carrot shavings, seeds of any kind...my birds eat nearly EVERYTHING. If they see you eating it, sometimes this will entice them, or at least pretend to eat it.
gig.gif

Your budgie will catch on. Include him in on everything that goes on around your house and soon he will be into everything!!

Last edited:
So far, we are working on stepping on the finger and coming out of the cage without grabbing the perch and escaping to safety. Once we are out of the cage, we work on sitting on the finger and not flying/ flopping away. When we finally retrieve him from the floor or couch or windowsill where he "escapes" to.... we work on sitting on the finger until we put him on the top of the cage. He has millet seeds up there and seems to like sitting under the ficus tree, tho he still attempts suicide off the top of the cage.... then we pick him up again, make him sit on the finger, while talking quietly and kissing to him. Then he goes back to a "safety zone".

Repeat...
Repeat...
Repeat...

So far, we are working on stepping on the finger and coming out of the cage without grabbing the perch and escaping to safety. Once we are out of the cage, we work on sitting on the finger and not flying/ flopping away. When we finally retrieve him from the floor or couch or windowsill where he "escapes" to.... we work on sitting on the finger until we put him on the top of the cage. He has millet seeds up there and seems to like sitting under the ficus tree, tho he still attempts suicide off the top of the cage.... then we pick him up again, make him sit on the finger, while talking quietly and kissing to him. Then he goes back to a "safety zone".

Repeat...
Repeat...
Repeat...

Sounds like you've got the idea! It just takes a lot of patience. They have to learn that they can trust you, and by doing the things you ask there is benefit (yummy stuff)! Eventually it will become less treat-oriented and the interaction with you will become its own reward for him. Don't lose hope. It took me over a year of working with her daily for one of my cockatiels to trust me (she used to FREAK out), and now she's one of the most cuddly birds I have.

He/ she? Still wont take treats from us, so he's doing it without reward right now. His rewards are kissy noises and sweettalk. Getting better everyday tho.

He will get better with time. Birds need routine, everyday. That way they know what is coming and when. It makes them less nervous. So maybe start a routine in the morning, first thing. Even if it is opening up the cage cover and clucking to him. Or serving him breakfast when he sees you eat yours. But try to keep to routines so that he know what is going to happen next.

Birds need to know they belong to a flock. Right now he feels very alone and scared. So make sure to include him in your activities and eventually he will think that either you are a bird, or he is a human.

And there maybe things that he will never do, depending on his personality. So just keep loving him for the way he is, work with him, and eventually he will have no choice but become part of your flock.
smile.png

He is making improvements every day. I took him out today and forced him to "walk around the house" with me. My finger is becoming a "safe zone" for him. I found that when he can't see his cage, my finger becomes his new safe zone and he flies away less. He also sees my finger as the safe place when he flies off and flops to the floor, he will immediately jump on my finger.... this just might work..... takes a lot of time tho. Needs to be every day. I can't skip a day of training... for sure.

Just wanted to say that this is a great thread. My sister is thinking about getting a pair parakeets and it has been awhile since we have had one. I see what we have to look forward to.

sounds like he/she is coming around, since he's stepping onto your finger when he is out of the cage. Here's my rendition of parakeet body language:
fluffy head, "beard" face (little dots on bottom of "beard" turn up in smile) : happy
fluffy head, accompaied by flared out tale: watch your fingers
"che che che che" sounds like complaining, is
whole body fluffy, hunched, sick
touch beak (without getting bit) : you "kissed" him
tongue.png

Well, I think we are terrible budgie parents. Our little guy is probably a girl, which is fine, but I'm pretty sure she is not fond of us. She was getting better, and iim going to blame my dh, with partial blame for me not stopping him, but he wanted to get that leg band off and we cut her a little. She is ok, just a little blood, but she is holding her leg up and VERY unhappy. REALLY wish we wouldn't have done that.

Hopefully she will get over it and we can continue the work training her, but we feel terrible at the moment about how things have gone.

Back
Top Bottom