Wing Defotmity

Sallys Mom

Chirping
Apr 1, 2016
I'm guessing this barred rock chick to be about 1.5 weeks old. We've had her 1 week today. I've left the wing alone, hoping it would correct itself, however it is not. She is doing great, although she is smaller than the others. She is Fiesty. In flight, she is only moving the bottom portion of the wing.

I am thinking early fracture due to the different shoulder angle, but I haven't raised babies in over 4 years.

Please see photos and help guide me on whether to tape or leave alone.

Attachments

• 20200907_105639.jpg
    20200907_105639.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20200907_105840.jpg
    20200907_105840.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 20200907_105901.jpg
    20200907_105901.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 12
I think I would leave it alone. Sometimes when they start to feather out they look wonky, and as they grow out more it straightens things out more normally. It would be very difficult to wrap one that small, might cause more problems than it helps. If it's a deformity from hatch, it will probably adapt just fine.
I don't think it's angel wing, that is generally seen in ducks.

I re-read my post, don't see anywhere that I passed judgement on anyone. Nor do I think I sounded annoyed in any way. Just gave my opinion, and I too have been disagreed with on this forum at times. I'm sorry you were offended by my opinion.

I think I would leave it alone. Sometimes when they start to feather out they look wonky, and as they grow out more it straightens things out more normally. It would be very difficult to wrap one that small, might cause more problems than it helps. If it's a deformity from hatch, it will probably adapt just fine.
I don't think it's angel wing, that is generally seen in ducks.
From what I've read and observed with her, I believe she is missing her axial feather. I have left it alone. She can fly a little. She is smaller than the others, but she holds her own.

I was only trying to shed my opinion I wasn't trying to annoy anyone . A problem with this site is all to often many post go unanswered until someone answers then folks will jump in and try to discredit the first person that answered . All I said was It looked a lot LIKE angel wing I didn't say it was Angel wing . I don't care if you are the Pope you should read the post better before passing judgment . Don't wonder why posts go unanswered now you know . The folks that try to shed light, get taken to the doghouse when they are only trying to answer these unanswered posts at least some of us try and in doing so get t person thinking that is all I was trying to do.
I'm glad all has been resolved. Please no hard feelings. I sincerely appreciate you reaching out. I am leaning more towards a missing axial feather, at this point. Time will tell. I do not breed any of my chickens, so no worries on passing on more issues. Thankyou again.

It would be interesting to see how it looks once she's grown some and is more feathered out. Might be easier to see in pictures at that point, it's hard to get a good picture when they are so small. If you think of it in a few weeks, or few months, it would be good to see pictures then. Hope she continues to grow and thrive, and does well.

It would be interesting to see how it looks once she's grown some and is more feathered out. Might be easier to see in pictures at that point, it's hard to get a good picture when they are so small. If you think of it in a few weeks, or few months, it would be good to see pictures then. Hope she continues to grow and thrive, and does well.
Thankyou. I hope so too. I'll try to remember. She cannot fly to the top of the brooder like her sisters yet, but she is close. She can run down a cricket, but growing up with leghorns is rough on a baby barred rock to keep up. Lol!

She does seem to be holding it strangely. Have you felt it at all? Looking for dislocation, breaks, or heat?
When I fold the wing the way that it should be, everything is right in line. As soon as I let go, it falls. It appears to be a missing feather. I just don't know. I had the vet wrap strip cut and was hoping to put a figure 8 bandage on it, but she lost her mind over that piece of vet wrap and flew back into the brooder. For now, I'm letting it go, if anything changes, she will see a vet. Im a weirdo and I do the vet thing. Lol!!

Back
Top Bottom