Wing Pinioning- Graphic- for JJMR & ne1 else interested

just finished cutting 50+ babies. It's incredibly easy! Since i raise both coturnix and mult speces of bob white quail it was a mixed batch.... all are easy to do. Now lets just hope this helps with the bob whites....

Once You Get Over The Act Of What You Are Doing, It's Very Easy And Quick... From Start To Finish 12-15 Minutes Tops! That Was From Cutting The Very First Time, To Finish With A Total Of 57 Birds, With 14 Being Coturnix Between 2 And 4 Wks Of Age And The Rest Being 2-3 Wk Old Butler Bob Whites. And Yes, God Forbid..., There Is Blood. But The Best Thing I Can Tell Y'all Is That A Tiny Drop Of Blood Can Look Like A Heck Of A Big Mess, When It Is Still Just A Drop Of Blood, Nothing More...

Oh, If You Are Squeamish, Dont Put Them Into A Rubbermaid Tote Type Of Brooder After You Cut Them--- It Makes Things Look Much Worse Than They Really Are With The Blood And May Upset You. (personally I Am Retired Firefighter/ Paramedic, And A Registered Nurse, So Nothing Much Bothers Me)

Niki I Am Hoping This Makes A World Of Difference With The Bob Whites As They Are 1000x's More Flighty Than Any Coturnix, And A Much Better Flier Overall Too. So With This We May Be Able To Tame The Savage Lil Beasts- Lol If Nothing Else It Will Definately Help Retain My Breeding Stock And In Some Cases May Be Legally Necessary To Posess Certain Birds In Some Areas--- For Example It Is Not Legal To Have Mallards In Your Flock Here In Florida. You Must Posess A Federal Breeders Permit, Or The Loop Hole States Non-flying Speces. Now With A Lil "snip " As Babies I Can Have 'em!

Last edited:
Quote:
I personally wouldn't just because their wings are so small at that point and because there would be a lot of trauma involved they are no where near as strong as they are at 2 weeks
smile.png
I wouldnt do it any earlier than that but that's me.
smile.png

Ah see. I haven't even seen a baby quail up close. I bet they are cute.

I know with ducks, pinioning should be done at about 1-2 days old when the bones are still "rubbery", at this time there is basically no blood at all. The older a bird gets, the more they will bleed.

With quail (and ducks) though, some people dont want pinioned birds and prefer full wings, and in Niki's case, she wants to pinion birds that intends on keeping or perhaps her customers may have requested that as well, to keep the quail from flying away, its a smart thing to do.

But you have to think about quail for a second and really how tough they are for a..........well................quail!! They litterally rip each others head and eyes apart, to the point that most fowl would not recover and the quail seem to recover from those injuries quite well, so pinioning a wing is really nothing to these birds!!

Great tutorial Niki, you are really great at taking pictures and showing frame by frame on how to do things!! I bet you are happy a thing called a digital camera was invented, could you imagine your bill for photo developing with the ol 35mm camera!!LOL

Quote:
th.gif
i wouldn't want to imagine that!
lau.gif
I LOVE my digital camera, I'll be sad whenever it does kick the bucket and will be scrambling for a new one
tongue.png

on my call ducklings I waited until they were a month old to pinion with no ill effects they ofcourse cried and i felt bad but gotta be done dont want to say bye byez to duckies i'd
hit.gif
tongue.png

as for my customers, I to be honest have t urned away every dog trainer who's wanted to buy from me because the more I see my birds hte more I believe that they aren't that great for dog training, some don't fly at all (even with full wings) and others just fly a few feet then drop then others still fly up and away (which would be ideal I assume but it's not too often they do that)... then i get the yahoos who want to get them to "Stock their fields" and I give them a big flat out "NO!" LOL Sure im losing money, but I dont like the fact of people illegally releasing my pet quail thinking they'll breed and reproduct
roll.png
smile.png
So yeppers no need for fully winging-it here
tongue.png

along with the dog trainers and field releasers I get the ones who want tobuy from me to throw my birds up into the air and shoot them... have they not heard of clay pigeons?
lau.gif

to each their own but not with my stock *shakes head*

This was a very interesting tutorial. I remember trimming the flight feathers of our budgies while we were taming them. Of course, with the quail you need a more permanent solution, like this. Interesting.

Thanks for sharing!

Quote:
IMO, You are correct- we pinion some of our birds, mainly ducks, geese & swans; We try to do ours within the first few days of hatching. Most times our babies hardly ever bleed, maybe a small drop or two. But we have done older birds like Monarc too.

Thanks for the photos- Monarc, we show people how to pinion, and I always forget to take pics when I do some.

Randy

Back
Top Bottom