Winter is almost here!! Share your tips and tricks for coping the elements with your chickens!

They do not ever try to roost on them, or get into little spats and splash them everywhere?
No I don't see anything like that, but I do have a large shed. I either use the buckets, or the pans are set up on bricks, so the drinking surface is about chest height, we dump and smash the ice out twice a day and replace with warm water. I also feed out of pans too.

No I don't see anything like that, but I do have a large shed. I either use the buckets, or the pans are set up on bricks, so the drinking surface is about chest height, we dump and smash the ice out twice a day and replace with warm water. I also feed out of pans too.
I guess I will probably end up just doing that this winter then. I am on a tight budget, so not sure I can swing installing any fancy watering systems. I have heard that warm water freezes faster than cold. Read more about it in this link: http://www.iflscience.com/chemistry/hot-water-freezes-faster-cold-and-now-we-know/. So I always fill up the waters with cold water.

I live in Canada..North Central Alberta...Brrrrr!
I run heat in my coop all winter...Not to the point of warm by no means..Just enough so my water does not freeze...I mostly have large breed hens. I have 2x4s flat side up for my roosts, that way my hens can sleep on their feet and keep them warm. I keep it well ventilated and do open the pop door every morning regardless of weather. My run is covered with a tarp and I put clear plastic on the one side to keep out snow....We got snow here now..My hens still get out daily from a bit of exercise and free ranging..I also have Ducks and they enjoy running around in the snow too...I have straw down in the run for them to keep their feet warm..No heat for them...Just straw and more straw....

Cheers!

Yes, I do that too...Actually have some growing right now...Also alfalfa horse hay is great...Chickens and Ducks enjoy eating it...I hide some scratch or peas in the flake of hay and they peck away and scratch...Lessens the boredom of winter...My Ducks like alfalfa cubes soaked in water with tomatoes, peas, and raisins...

Cheers!

Yes, I do that too...Actually have some growing right now...Also alfalfa horse hay is great...Chickens and Ducks enjoy eating it...I hide some scratch or peas in the flake of hay and they peck away and scratch...Lessens the boredom of winter...My Ducks like alfalfa cubes soaked in water with tomatoes, peas, and raisins...

Cheers!
That is a great idea! I bet they would stay occupied with that for hours on end! And it would be especially nice because they can not scratch the frozen ground. :D

Sure you could,
you can use flakes of straw too, not much nutrition (except there's often still grain in it) but still worth it for the entertainment value,
but the better the hay the more nutrition the chooks might gain from it.

Ahh, I see. I might see if I can get some alfalfa hay then.

Back
Top Bottom