Winter is almost here!! Share your tips and tricks for coping the elements with your chickens!

The brown one is my partridge cockerel, Roo Pooh. He is 7 months old and a doll. By the way- he was supposed to be a girl - sigh. Can't give him up though. He is a big baby and very gentle.

The little frizzle sleeps next to him. He roosts in the nesting box doorway and she sleeps under him.

He is fun. I do have to cut the feathers (aka fluff) around his eyes so he can see. Not sure how often he molts yet since he is still a baby - guessing it will be an annual exercise.

I tried the "light bulb in a cookie tin" method this week when it dipped down to the teens here in SW Missouri. It seems to be working beautifully. :)

I have the "heater" in the coop with the waterer on top. It's keeping the water thawed and the temp inside the coop in the low 40s. I'm a bit worried about the humidity inside the coop (frost on the inside of the windows), though the air flow should help keep that down.

So far so good. :) Thanks to everyone here for the great tips and advice!

The brown one is my partridge cockerel, Roo Pooh. He is 7 months old and a doll. By the way- he was supposed to be a girl - sigh. Can't give him up though. He is a big baby and very gentle. The little frizzle sleeps next to him. He roosts in the nesting box doorway and she sleeps under him.
Looks like it would be difficult to process. Kind of a interesting looking chicken though.

Well, the temps have dipped as low as 15° F so far, my poor chickens are having fun adjusting! Thankfully, it has been fairly mild here and I hope it stays that way! :fl

6° in Ohio this morning. I have a light that's on from 5:30 -5:30 and an aquarium heater in the waterer. The girls stay in the coop or in the enclosed pen. They haven't ventured out into the big open air fenced in area since we got 5 inches of snow Tuesday. Between the light and a small radiant heater, the coop stays about 15° warmer than the outside air. I don't want it too much warmer than the outside so the chickens don't have to adjust to a big temperature difference.

It was 18 degrees this morning, I opened up the doors and only about 6 out of my 33 ventured out, and quickly went back in. I have some hens in a breeding pen that is not very covered, so I have a heat lamp in there for them and hoping they will be fine.....:/

Back
Top Bottom