Winter proofing question

chickenpredatorkiller

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 1, 2011
South Carolina
I have a question about winter proofing my coop. I have a good bit a ventilation in the coop (a large triangular opening at the top and small rectangular ones on the long sides of the coop at the top). I was wondering if they still need ventilation in the winter and if so how much. I just don't know how much vent space to leave uncovered in order to keep them warm, but also well ventilated.

I would say leave them all uncovered. They have a lot of humidity and spend a lot of time inside when it's colder. They do need the ventilation all year.

I have vents at the top also, and leave them open all the time. I also have 2 windows that I open when it's warm and I do close them when it cools down.

In freezing climates (which I don't think you have to worry about being in SC), as long as there's no stiff breeze coming thru the venting that would blow on them while they roost, it's better to leave them open.

If your birds are getting frostbite, that's a sure sign you do not have enough ventilation/fresh air exchange. Are you noticing some frost buildup in the coop? Again, another sign of poor ventilation. Don't worry about keeping them warm, chickens can handle cold weather, especially where you are, in S.C. People do far more unintended harm, trying to keep chickens warm, than just letting them take care of themselves. From shutting off vital ventilation, to actually burning their coop down with unnecessary heatlamps.
Check out the pic below, that's winter ventilation.

900x900px-LL-5f969cf5_55557_img_1354.jpeg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom