Winter Storm Incoming

ashlkfnl

Chirping
Sep 22, 2021
Southeast Kansas
Hello!
I live in Southeast Kansas, and we are currently in a winter storm emergency. It is super humid right now and extremely damp as it has been raining.
My coop is protected from the north wind by a metal barn, and the windows face the south. I am worried about how cold it will get. (forecasted wind chills of about -10° and sustained temp of maybe 2 degrees) We are supposed to get about a foot of snow. I have RIRs and they’re supposed to be cold hardy, but I’m still worried. Should I close up the windows? That’s their only source of ventilation. I bought some pine shavings to buff up the floor so their feet don’t get cold. Should I add heat to the coop? Should I insulate the nesting boxes? I am worried about the humidity level right now as it is about 99% and very wet.
Please help! Thank you.

I would try to find a breathable cover to keep the snow from blowing in, and use that on your windows so air can circulate. Some people use filters. The cold should be ok. We’ve had many days this year in the negatives. You don’t want wind or snow blowing on them, the cold isn’t the problem. Hopefully their roost isn’t aligned with the window. If it is, you may want to temporarily lower it so the air blows above them & not on them. Good luck! We are getting hit (again) on Wednesday night with a bucket of snow,

You could put a few heat lamps in for the duration.

I have birds in a hoop house and will run two 150w ceramic heaters for our expected -5 tonight. I don’t run them when it’s over 10ish.

Most farm stores and hardware stores sell basic clamp fixtures and 150 or 250w hear lights.

You could put a few heat lamps in for the duration.

I have birds in a hoop house and will run two 150w ceramic heaters for our expected -5 tonight. I don’t run them when it’s over 10ish.

Most farm stores and hardware stores sell basic clamp fixtures and 150 or 250w hear lights.
I advise against that. The chickens do not need heat and it poses a fire hazard. And if the power goes out, then it won't do them any good anyways. Trust me, I live in northern Ohio, we are supposed get 9-14 inches of snow and have been in the negatives at night. My coop has four open windows and the birds can go in their run if they want. Just keep them dry and ventilated with no drafts directly on them

We will be experiencing similar conditions. Most of my chickens are out in pens where they will be facing brunt of precipitation and wind. I made sure they went to roost with full crops. They will get wet on external feathers but that does not concern me so long as down is dry and the birds are in good weight. With snow on the ground and windy conditions the chickens may not come off the roost for a couple days straight, even for food. What I will do then is put energy dense feed; mostly pelleted feed, whole corn and BOSS into feeders that will be given just about what it takes to fill their crops. It is labor intensive although it ensures available energy for fighting cold and keeping weight on.

Birds in this setting are neither growing nor in lay, so I'm just trying to maintain them.

Chickens in barn are being given free-choice access to feed. The barn blocks north wind and precipitation. Hens that are currently in lay will stop laying until it warms up again. To keep them in consistent good lay temperatures would need to be kept above zero F, ideally more that 10 F.

I advise against that. The chickens do not need heat and it poses a fire hazard. And if the power goes out, then it won't do them any good anyways.
Agree 100%
Just keep them dry and ventilated with no drafts directly on them
Agree also. Where is the roost in relation to the window?

One additional thought is add some more bedding to the coop to absorb poo and keep it softer on their feet.

On raining or snowy days the humidity level rises to very high level inside and outside of the coop (in covered area), but as long as water does NOT get in, chickens will be fine!
I'd try to make a "shadow box" like cover (so, equivalent to a three-sided overhang) over the window, so you'll still have plenty of ventilation, but strong wind and snow/rain can't get into the coop.

Or you may try using a filter like material to cover the window. Plastic shade cloth may also be useful as temporary cover of the window ( fold it over a few times), trying to make a gable vent like cover to keep rain/snow out but allowing air flow!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom